Why become a member? ×

Decent Bass Combo or small head/cab?

AhBootsybaby

Dear world of Bass

I've recently gone a bought a squier (yeah I know but i'm poor!) modified fretless jazz bass, fitted a Bass ass bridge to it and now all i need is a decent amp or combo... i'm not ready to gig yet so its just for home use but I want a nice clean smooth amp that would go with my jazz, not too muddy..I used to play a few years ago had a Wal custom fretless in the 80's =90's but sold it to buy a car :) :blush: (please don't kill me, i feel bad enough already!!) and played that through a HH bass baby which wasn't bad and also had a Roland Jazz chorus for a while...

question is should i go for somthing like a roland bass cube 100 watt, or ashdown, i'm tempted to get the little giant 350 and seperate cab..or what about the superfly? there's the line 6 or fender rumble. or Hartke?. so far i;ve tried ashdown perfect ten which sounded dull and the marshall 60 watt which sounded a but tinny.. I've also played it through a mark bass combo which made my squier sound like the dogs bollox!

Is there anything thats anywhere near as good as a mark bass for £200-250 thats my budget at max??? althouhg of course if ai get the little giant then my buget would be more!! is it worth getting?

any advice greatly apprecaited

happy christmas and splendid new year to you all

Brownie

Personally I rather like the little Peavey 8" combo - it's a great speaker size for bass guitar at low SPL because the midrange extension and clarity, particularly off-axis, is better than with similarly priced 10"s or 12"s. Dead cheap too. Only 20W or so but that's more than enough for home use. Then you can save your money for something much louder for gigging rather than ending up with one of those close but no cigar ~100W combos.

Alex

I'd always advocate a small head/cab over a combo. Gives you more opportunity to try different amps with different cabs to see what you like and if you want to upgrade you may just need to change one or the other. There's loads of decent second hand cabs floating about for very little money these days and it's the same story with heads. I've seen plenty of the 200w-300w Hartke heads on ebay for somewhere in the region of £100, also look at peavey stuff.

It's worth noting that ashdown had a lot of quality control issues with the superfly (if you didn't already know this). Mine is noisy and has been back to the shop twice in the first 2 months. It also has a habit of vibrating so much the screws work loose, this can be annoying and noisy, esp on the two that hold the handle in.
Mine sounds very nice indeed but i won't gig it for fear of it dying or falling apart! Make sure you get one that works as it should

Maybe other BCers know if this was restricted to just one shipment? I was certainly one of the unlucky few to spot the £199 "bargains"!

Oh and nothing wrong with Squiers, they're ace!

Judging by your budget,maybe you could go for Gallien( freddy) :) Kruger.
They're not too expensive, new or 2ndhand.
I haven't used them myself,but have thought about them .

Trace Elliot aren't too expensive and they are quite good.

Warwicks look good ,and are reasonably priced also.

[quote name='sifi2112' post='358991' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:26 PM']I got an Eden N8 40watt (£70) .. great sounding little combo for home use !!
Got a superfly head which I don't use but you'd need a cab to go with it.

Si[/quote]

Hi Si

cheers

does that mean you are looking to sell your superfly head?

does it work ok? i've herd they have problems?

cheers

andy b

Edited by AhBootsybaby

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='359010' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:56 PM']I'd always advocate a small head/cab over a combo. Gives you more opportunity to try different amps with different cabs to see what you like and if you want to upgrade you may just need to change one or the other. There's loads of decent second hand cabs floating about for very little money these days and it's the same story with heads. I've seen plenty of the 200w-300w Hartke heads on ebay for somewhere in the region of £100, also look at peavey stuff.

It's worth noting that ashdown had a lot of quality control issues with the superfly (if you didn't already know this). Mine is noisy and has been back to the shop twice in the first 2 months. It also has a habit of vibrating so much the screws work loose, this can be annoying and noisy, esp on the two that hold the handle in.
Mine sounds very nice indeed but i won't gig it for fear of it dying or falling apart! Make sure you get one that works as it should

Maybe other BCers know if this was restricted to just one shipment? I was certainly one of the unlucky few to spot the £199 "bargains"!

Oh and nothing wrong with Squiers, they're ace![/quote]

thanks i;m more tempted by the amp/cab thing but is space and also money, its such a tricky descision!!!