Why become a member? ×

Lack of knowledge, is a dangerous thing??

BaggyMan

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Be careful putting guitars in lofts, especially at the moment with the current heatwave - you’ll need more than a set of hex keys to sort them out 😟

not my guitars, and clearly the owner won't have a clue whether they are badly affected by the weather or not!

changing settings (truss rod , action and intonation) aren't that difficult although as in all things takes some time to learn and  some confidence building.  As for changing strings, again it's not that big a deal.  Sure, anything beyond (shimming the neck , changing pickups, nut adjustment and so on) that takes some more application, but it just surprises me that there are players who choose not to attend to simple basic housekeeping (imho) and potentially suffer as performers because of it.  

That said I would defend the right of anyone just to get someone else to do it if they don't feel confident or can afford it. 

Horses and courses I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

not my guitars, and clearly the owner won't have a clue whether they are badly affected by the weather or not!

Understood. Just seems a shame to risk damaging them by exposing them to the extremes of heat and cold that exists in most lofts. My 63 P-bass was rescued from a loft, and the paint peeled off in strips! Frets were green and the original case was damaged beyond repair. Amazingly the neck survived without being warped , but it took a lot of restoration. 

• Like 1