Why become a member? ×

Shifting to concert pitch

Rexel Matador

I have a series of recordings that I'd like to be able to play along to, but none of them are tuned at A=440, as they were made by the instruments just being tuned to each other, rather than a tuner.

My sense of pitch is clearly not great and I struggle with tuning my bass to match them.

In this technologically wondrous age, is there an easy way of pitch shifting a recording (these are full band recordings) into concert pitch, so I can save them like that and not have to retune constantly? Is there an app or plugin or something that can just figure it out for me? Or will it be a matter of trial and error until I get the amount of shift that matches?

I'm surprised nobody has answered this, I thought there would be something out there. Also what would be useful is a player where you can vary the playback speed (independent of pitch) - I have a particularly yukky sax/trumpet solo to transcribe so I did a half-speed same-pitch version, but I needed to make it specially (in Reaper).

For the slight out-of-tuning and playing along issue, I do all my transcribing using a fretless which is really handy because you can get around the issue no problems at all!