Why become a member? ×

Pro Tools 8

99ster

Just installed the Pro Tools LE 8 upgrade - quick whizz through....
WOW. What a difference. A zillion times better + LOADS of new plugins & goodies + 48 tracks (just started to hit the 32 track limit on some songs we're adding overdubs to - so very timely).

[quote name='CyberBass' post='357795' date='Dec 18 2008, 12:23 PM']I have protools LE 7.3 with my 003 Rack, can it be upgraded to protools 8? or do I need to start from scatch with protools 8?[/quote]

Yes - you can just upgrade. That's what I did. It just replaces your version 7 install with version 8. All the stuff you've recorded opens as protools 8 sessions - with everything saved & intact just as you had it in version 7 - but with all the new goodness...

If you bought you 003 rack before October of this year it's a free upgrade - if not it is about £95. Which actually makes buying an MBox Micro (£150) - a bargain as you would get prootools 8 with this for free.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='357676' date='Dec 18 2008, 11:10 AM']Its nice isn't it.

Lots of effort has been piled into the basic opperation and interface of it whilst sticking to the Pro Tools functionality.

G[/quote]

Yes - I'm VERY happy with it. Was well worth the upgrade price - feels like a huge amount of work has been put into it - not to mention all the new toys!
:)

[quote name='BassBalls' post='358642' date='Dec 19 2008, 11:13 AM']On my Mac do i need to upgrade the operating system to OSX 5 Leopard to get Pro tools 8 working? Im currently running OSX Tiger 4.11.[/quote]

I would think so - I was already running 10.5.
If you go to the Digidesign site there'll be info on what OS is required...

Not sure if I understand the price of fish thing?! Only thing I can take from it is that you don't think the interface defines how many tracks you'd need in a sequencer - well of course it does, if you've invested lots of cash in an 003 then you can be tracking 24 ins at once, thus 48 suddenly gets very limited once you're recording drums, etc. Not trying to tell you what to like or anything, just was shocked at a lowly 48 audio track count on such expensive equipment!

[quote name='bennifer' post='361244' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:50 PM']...if you've invested lots of cash in an 003 then you can be tracking 24 ins at once, thus 48 suddenly gets very limited once you're recording drums, etc...[/quote]

If you're tracking 24ins at once, what are you doing? Live orchestral stuff? (no sarcasm meant, would just be interesting to know) - ProTools LE is meant for the keen amateur. A keen amateur will rarely need more than 48 tracks, if ever, and the 48 tracks are 48 live tracks playing back simultaneously - you can have more than 48 tracks in one session but they won't be able to all play back at the same time but you will be able to bounce down the whole session. If you're regularly exceeding 48 tracks then the LE version isn't for you, but the price increase in the HD hardware is excessive.

You can get amazing results using 4 quality mics on a drum kit IME.

24 at once? Tracking a band, then layering up overdubs of guitar, bass, vocals etc on top. My universities local studio uses an 003 to bring inputs in from a spirit 24 desk. In no way can I see them needing to upgrade to an HD system in hardware terms, but that track count is pretty low seeing its just a software enforced limitation. I just produced a folk-rock CD full of singer songwriters in the local area and many of the tracks used upto 60 tracks once all additional instruments and overdubs were finished. In no way am I a high earning professional - i'm just a guy who likes producing music vocationally, it was a charity Cd!

Whatever works for you, and really i'm not trying to be an annoying pest, just very shocked at how low that track count is, given how far the amateur is taking music production now, it sounded shockingly low, thats all.

I have done all sorts of projects from acoustic / orchestral / big band / rock and pop across lots of jobs ranging from live recording and location work to major production albums and have never found the 48 tracks limiting (i had the upgrade on the last LE).

I mean, a generous drum kit (if I am going ALL OUT) is the following:

Kick - 3 (in, out and speaker)
Snare - 2 (Top and bottom)
Toms - 3
Hats - 1
OH's - 3
Room - 2

Thats 14 tracks! You could even take trigger tracks from the kick/snare and toms and still sit comfortably under 20.

48 tracks is not a limitation. The beatles managed on 4! Peter Gabriels SO was done on 2x24 machines and then all bounced to one 24. Bohemian Rhapsody was 24 for the band and 24 for vocals and all bounced to one for the mix down. None of these sound 'limited' to me.

G

Edited by slaphappygarry

[quote name='bennifer' post='361244' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:50 PM']Not sure if I understand the price of fish thing?![/quote]

Like your earlier post, it makes little sense.

[quote name='bennifer' post='361244' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:50 PM']Only thing I can take from it is that you don't think the interface defines how many tracks you'd need in a sequencer[/quote]

That's right. I have 48 i/o. Does that mean I need hundreds of tracks? (for the avoidance of doubt, no.)

[quote name='bennifer' post='361244' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:50 PM']if you've invested lots of cash in an 003 then you can be tracking 24 ins at once,[/quote]

Two things here. If you have an 003 you haven't invested loads of cash. It's at the decent end of the consuer scale but it's no pro item.

Wrong again. the 003 has only 18 available ins. 8 analogue, 8 by adat and 8 by spdif.

[quote name='bennifer' post='361244' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:50 PM']48 suddenly gets very limited once you're recording drums, etc. Not trying to tell you what to like or anything, just was shocked at a lowly 48 audio track count on such expensive equipment! [snip] 24 at once? Tracking a band, then layering up overdubs of guitar, bass, vocals etc on top[/quote]

If you are making good decisions and committing to your vision when tracking 48 audio tracks is not [i]very[/i] limited (unless you are failing to make decisions). For the avoidance of doubt the 48 is only audio tracks, not midi, instrument or aux channels.

I have an HD3 rig in my mix room and an HD1 in my edit room and I rarely go over 60 audio tracks. Most will not exceed 48. Biggest I ever worked on was a bit over a hundred and that was tracked elsewhere (and most of them didnt make it to the mix as they were unnecessary/a failure by the tracking engineer to make a decision).

Bottom line, if you can't make it sound like a record with 48 tracks, it ain't the gear.

• 4 weeks later...

I just spent some money!

Used Digi 002, with pro tools 6.3

Used dual 1.8ghz G5, the price of these shocked me, lower spec machines than the one I found are hitting £500!! This G5 had 3.5ghz RAM, two HD's, the OS is on a 350 gig HD, the second drive is 80 gig. Will probably replace the second HD with something bigger.

Next step is to get Leopard on the Mac, the Pro tools 8 LE

Tony