Why become a member? ×

tone rider trp1

Anyone use these pickups? I'm a longtime fan of dimarzio model p's with my p bass ( tried many pickups over the years)... But a new project has me playing a lot of chords and I'm finding the dimarzios break up far to easy for multiple string playing.

Any pros and cons with the tone riders? Price of them is a big plus 🙂

These pickups were used in the old Squier CV P basses, which get great reviews! The TRP1 will break up similarly to the model p, so not sure you will get what you want.

However, if you want a tight and punchy P pickup, then the Entwistle PBNX get rave reviews and are reasonably priced.

I recently bought one, and I have to say I’m impressed. I’ve not used it a lot yet, but so far it strikes me as solid and even, with a distinctly old school vibe. I prefer a more airy top-end, but then I suppose for most that saves the trouble of having to use a tone pot. Terrific value for money.

Cool , gonna give the to riders a punt ( no loss at that price)vintage and even is what I'm wanting ,a little less hot than the dimarzios.

The entwistles sound good .......but as fickle as it sounds, I hate the look of the screw( flat head look) pole pieces.

Edited by danbowskill

I had one and it was very similar to the Fender Custom Shop 62. In fact I’ve just bought a Mex Player Precision and if the stock pickup isn’t up to scratch (they’re meant to be much nearer to the 62s than previous MIM pickups but time will tell) I’ll be getting a Tonerider for it, I was that impressed.