Why become a member? ×

1994 Warwick Streamer Stage 1

jimbartlett

[quote name='BassBod' post='36752' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:18 AM']I might be selling my 2000 SSI with EMG's and Aguilar soon - I was thinking £850. But I'll wait till yours is gone :)

BB[/quote]

What difference did changing the electrics make to the sound BB?

I used to own an SS1 and loved it's playability and feel, but found the sound a bit....thin.

A

Well, the EMG's are similar to the MEC's but just a bit "better" - more clarity, but also a bit more low end.

The Aguilar is the 2 band with cut/boost, so its a very different configuration to the 3band stock MEC. Much less circuit noise, and a huge amount of bass boost. Most of all its reliable and sealed in an epoxy box. I had problems with the MEC circuit and didn't trust it. Nothing worse than random hisses and thumps from an active circuit to ruin your gig.

I think the circuit is a bigger improvement than the pickups - but Warwick used EMG before they had their own made....

BB

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='36872' date='Jul 25 2007, 02:06 PM']Did you have the same model as me? I find mine has got loads of growl and bottom end.[/quote]

It was a 2003 SS1 5 string. It could transmit some serious bass with a bit of EQ tweeking, but the bite and growl I expected to hear from a Warwick never seemed to materialise. To add to this, the G string was certainly weaker than the other strings and slapping on the D or G was a none starter, you just couldn't hear it. It may be that I had a friday afternoon production, not sure. All that aside, it was the best 'feeling' bass I've ever laid hands on.

[quote name='Rumble' post='36992' date='Jul 25 2007, 07:34 PM']It was a 2003 SS1 5 string. It could transmit some serious bass with a bit of EQ tweeking, but the bite and growl I expected to hear from a Warwick never seemed to materialise. To add to this, the G string was certainly weaker than the other strings and slapping on the D or G was a none starter, you just couldn't hear it. It may be that I had a friday afternoon production, not sure. All that aside, it was the best 'feeling' bass I've ever laid hands on.[/quote]

The SS1 5 string sounds considerably different to the SS1 4 string. The P+J combination on the 4 stringer makes the bass much more versatile for different playing styles and the P adds some big thump to the low end of the bass.

There was a 1996 Streamer Stage I on ebay about a year ago with a BIN of £495 - it had alu flight case, strap, 10 sets of strings, wax, cloth, strap, tools and some other bits nad pieces. It didn't go and when I got in touch with the bloke he said he'd got £400 for the lot part ex-ed against a mixer!!! He who hesitates, eh?