Why become a member? ×

Where do you leave your bass after a respray?

Jonesy

Hey everyone, 

Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I have an empty house of the weekend so am going to have a go at refinishing a Harley Benton PB50 that i have kicking around, it'll be my first time doing this so i'm not holding my breath for it to turn out great! I have an idea of the general process for refinishing the body, but was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on where to leave the body after I've sprayed on the colour coat? How warm and dry does a warm dry place have to be? I was thinking of leaving it in my shed for a couple of weeks - it's dry and will be as warm as the British weather permits, but was wondering if this will be OK? 

Thanks!

Hi    I once left a bass to dry outside and came back to find lots of fly’s and bugs stuck to it 😀   The shed temperatures will drop of an evening which is not really good. , Indoors is better, just hang it up something like this 🙂

BBC46DCC-31B7-4CFA-A525-59517418288C.jpeg

• Like 1

As above, the shed probably won’t harm anything at this time of year, but it will increase curing time quite a bit.

Ideally you want somewhere indoors, warm and with good air circulation if possible. Preferably not somewhere you sleep or spend all day though due to the fumes.

You could even build yourself a drying box with a heat source in (like a light bulb). That’s what I do.

Edited by Manton Customs
  • Like 1

Ahh, hadn't even thought about the bugs - cheers for the heads up on that. If I did chance leaving it in the shed do you have a rough idea of what that'd do to the drying time? I was planning on 3-4 coats of nitrocellulose colour then 6-8 clear gloss and had 2 weeks in mind as a rough drying time. 

My other options are......

A cupboard that used to house an immersion tank and is now empty. It's just outside the bedroom though so I have no idea if that's too close on the fumes front? 

I have a wooden lean to attached to the house that I would say is marginally warmer than a shed. The only downside is that the guitar is more likely to get a knock if left in here and it joins to our kitchen, so fumes may be an issue? 

Also, how consistent does the temperature have to be? Would whacking a fan heater on for half an hour or so in the evening be a good idea? 

Constant temperature is not too important, you just don’t want sudden changes, like cold to very hot or vice versa. Or extremes in general really. 

The fumes won’t be a problem from that sort of range (in the lean to). I just meant don’t sleep by it or something!

I like to leave 4 weeks drying time if I’m doing a gloss finish, you may encounter some shrinkage if you sand and buff after two. Depends on how perfect you’re aiming for...But aim for the stars and you might reach the moon is a good saying for finishing :).

Edited by Manton Customs

Thanks for all of the help! The green house tent is a good shout to help stop it getting knocked, but I'm not sure i can get away with whacking it in the lean to!

How important is keeping in in/out of direct sunlight? I think I can find a place to hang it on a wall out of direct sunlight, but there are a lot of windows so my placement options will be limited!

3 minutes ago, Twigman said:

close the curtains?

What curtains? 😋

The lean to is essentially an 8ft wooden shack that has been attached to the back of the house that you get to through the back door. It's where the fridge/washing machine etc live so there's no curtains up.

If you spray in the late morning - lunchtime on a warmish, dry day it should be ok if you then leave it hanging as shown above, in the lean-to until evening. The paint would then be dry and just need more time to harden before you do anything more to it. In any case, use a face mask to avoid inhaling the paint particles.

DON'T be tempted to do it in doors unless the place is well covered with dust cloths and you're ready to clean up WELL after yourself.

Even in the lean-to, cover the washing machine etc, unless you're into experiencing pain when the others get back.

Tip of the day: When you've sprayed it and there are a few tiny bits in the paint. Rub the dry painted surface over with the back of your sandpaper. This will de-nib the surface without you having to sand it back.

Edited by Grangur