Why become a member? ×

Stereo jack has 4 connectors...?

Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='351245' date='Dec 10 2008, 09:24 PM']

Just got this from Ebay as a replacement for a worn out jack, turned up and has 4 connectors. I'm only used to seeing 3 connector versions, what's the best way to wire this? Obviously the ground is the same but it's the other 3 that I'm unsure on!

Cheers,

Dan[/quote]
Assuming it is a quarter inch jack socket, it is unusual. I would suggest getting a battery, wire and torchbulb and a three pole jack plug, and checking what connects to what before and after plugging them together. You could have a mono change-over switch + earth.

If it is an 1/8 inch (3.5mm) jack socket, they make a four pole version for video cameras.

I'm no expert, but I imagine it is one of a couple of things:

I would have thought it is a [b]mono[/b] socket where there are actually two smaller connectors, that serve one of the following functions:

The two connections are for a separate circuit and are linked or broken when a plug is inserted for something like turning an active preamp on/off as chrisba said.

OR

The two connections could be connected (one each) to the sleeve and tip tags with no plug inserted and then the connections broken when removed, kind of like a patchbay socket, for allowing "normalised" signal to flow through until it is interrupted by a new source from the jack.

I have not seen this type of socket so couldn't say for sure. A friend with a multimeter (or battery and bell :)) would be good to confirm this.

Again, this is only a "IMO". Experts flame away!

Edited by Huge Hands

The easiest way to find out is to plug a stereo jack into it and do a continuity check between the terminals on the plug and those on the socket. My guess is that there's either some separate switching mechanism in the socket or there are separate terminals on the socket for the "sleeve" contact as well as the body of the socket itself.