Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ Fretless

lateralus462

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='350624' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:00 PM']I imagine that any Jazz scratchplate would fit. You don't have to worry about the holes lining up, because the bass doesn't have any! You'd need to drill the pilot holes yourself.

S.P.[/quote]

You won't have to worry about screwholes lining up.

But Jazz pickups are not all the same size. On a US the neck pickup is slightly narrower than the bridge pickup but not so on a MIM where they are both bridge sized. So depending on what size pickup the VMJ has you may find the scratchplate doesn't fit over it and you'll have to file it. Not all Jazzes have the pickups in exactly the same place either.

Also some scratchplates have a little oval cut out for the truss rod and some don't.

It's easy to go wrong with this even without screwholes to line up.

EDIT: Hmmm ... now I see it's a little late for this. :blush:

Edited by EssentialTension

That's it - I'm officially hooked. I was expecting this bass to be a cheap introduction to fretless (which it is) but I'm blown away by the quality - easily matches the standard of my Ibanez which was a fair bit more expensive!!!

Sounds good as well - although it's a little bit noisy, but I'm sure some proper shielding will sort that out. Oh and it looks sooo much better with a pickguard as well.

[quote name='Pentode' post='353124' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:57 PM']I offered it to Simon for £140 including overnight courier. The bass is only about 3 months old from new.. I just can't get on with the lined board. :)[/quote]

Which is a good deal for a nice bass. The only reason I didn't buy it was that I was really after a Jazz body, and would have had to have sold on the neck. Someone should buy it at this price!

[quote name='lateralus462' post='353262' date='Dec 12 2008, 11:32 PM']That's it - I'm officially hooked. I was expecting this bass to be a cheap introduction to fretless (which it is) but I'm blown away by the quality - easily matches the standard of my Ibanez which was a fair bit more expensive!!!

Sounds good as well - although it's a little bit noisy, but I'm sure some proper shielding will sort that out. Oh and it looks sooo much better with a pickguard as well.[/quote]

See, we knew you would love it. Its such a bgreat bass. Now get some pictures up with the scratchplate on :)

Why dont you use some double-sided sticky tape to hold it on for a bit and see if you like it - you can always drill the holes when you've made up your mind? Very hard to un-drill holes...

edit: [b]too late[/b] - note to self - [i]always[/i] read to the end of the thread

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Pentode' post='354071' date='Dec 14 2008, 09:57 AM']Looks pretty smart to me! :)

Enjoy going Fretless! :huh:[/quote]
Thanks Dude

And I am - I haven't touched my other bass since this turned up!!! I might see if I can learn the whole of our set on the fretless before practice on tuesday - I wonder what my band would make of that!!!

These are brilliant basses - they play as well, if not better than US Fenders I have tried. When my bank balance has recovered from Christmas will definitely have to get myself one of these, despite not being a Fender fanboy. :)

For the price they cost new I can't see a decent pickguard harming the value at all, especially if it's an official Fender plate.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='354831' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:13 AM']These are brilliant basses - they play as well, if not better than US Fenders I have tried. When my bank balance has recovered from Christmas will definitely have to get myself one of these, despite not being a Fender fanboy. :)

For the price they cost new I can't see a decent pickguard harming the value at all, especially if it's an official Fender plate.[/quote]

That was my thoughts on it - hence the new pickguard for what I paid I can't see it mattering too much and tbh I doubt I'll be selling it.

Actually fitting the pickguard was a pain though - the control plate was slightly off where it needed to be to line up properly so I had to fill the holes and move it slightly - it was impossible to get it 100% in line but it's close enough that you can't really tell.