Saved

XTRM basses 343 build

style of headstock  

9 members have voted

1. 1. hich style you thing looks better?

• angled (like ibanez)
    • scalooped (like fender)

Its long time since last posted here,but,the time has come to start a new build.

Actually 3 bass build together.

I am in the searching for the wood supplies now,so in 2-3 week i (think) will start them.

They will be 4string and 5string basses in the 40.433" scale.One of them it will be available for sale,so,if any of you is intrigued about it,please,keep an eye on this build.

The 40.433 is a common 34" scale bass,but bigger 3 frets.

The headstock design it will be like this in the foto,and i don't know if i will do it angled or scalooped (that's why i also made the poll,feel free to help me choose)

The things they will be for sure are

3-piece maple neck

carbon reinforcement

humbucker pickups

passive circuit.

PS. I started the topic to early before the build,just to help me with the headstock design,so,please,be patient and not in hurry :D:D

34+3headstock mkr.jpg

• Like 2

I'm very pleased to see you up and at it again.

If you do an angled headstock (my preference because I don't want a string tree) it would please me greatly to see a volute.

Looking forward to seeing these unfold.

• Haha 1

I dont like string trees or retainers or whatever in the headstock.Even big logos and names in the headstock make them look ugly

• Like 1

Yes - for my choice, I would always go for angled.  The Fender-type of scallops add too many compromises and are actually quite difficult to pull off successively.

@Andyjr1515 what angle you give to your builds?

I realy hate scarf joints.I trying tou glue the less pieces posible.I have build angled (one piece neckthrough,no scarf joint) and scalooped (5 pieces maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple) and it was prety easy,i have a beltsander to do the curves in scalooped designs

7 minutes ago, Saved said:

@Andyjr1515 what angle you give to your builds?

I realy hate scarf joints.I trying tou glue the less pieces posible.I have build angled (one piece neckthrough,no scarf joint) and scalooped (5 pieces maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple) and it was prety easy,i have a beltsander to do the curves in scalooped designs

I go for 10 degrees with a volute and no scarf joint.  Never had a break yet and that includes one that has been shipped 14000 miles on 6 flights plus countless courier van trips!

• Like 2

On 08/03/2019 at 18:57, SpondonBassed said:

.... it would please me greatly to see a volute.

You never mentioned that before...... 🤣

• Haha 1

Some of the decent makes of guitar machine heads have string posts of different heights (staggered posts) to better string angles. Haven’t seen anything like that for bass though.

I quite like scalloped headstocks and am not particularly bothered by string trees. However, there isn’t a massive choice for these. Hipshot do some of the nicest in terms but aren’t cheap. I keep looking for some simple trees for two strings along the lines of what Wal used to use but can’t find anything like them.

Scalloped headstocks are also easier to make i.e. no joining required. 

I’ve always liked headless basses and they do away with most of these issues........

• Like 1

A volute is the carved bit at the joint of the neck and headstock. In theory, it adds a bit of thickness to the weak point.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

A volute is the carved bit at the joint of the neck and headstock. In theory, it adds a bit of thickness to the weak point.

I like it because it is tactile and that helps my fretting hand find first position accurately.

• Like 1

Gosh, that thins out dramatically.

Not only could you kill a dinosaur with it... you could also dig a big hole to bury it in with that spade of a headstock!  Have you some more photos of that please?

• Like 1

The truth is,i have done realy good R&D on scalooped headstocks,but i am not on design and the "secrets" of angled headstock design

Here is the headstock you are talking about.The bolt is to make the string longer because of the 40" scale and the longer headstock,the string couldnt reach the tuner.This is tuned F#BEA with heavy gauge newtone strings

15522520983871651044435.jpg

1552252301010-1990753468.jpg

• Like 1

Bubinga blanks for the fretboard.

They look like have been wet but they are not.They are just messy

IMG_20190314_140742.jpg