Why become a member? ×

Rack Tuner ???

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
I know this question was raised recently and indeed answered so please forgive,i have had a look for the thread.
I have a Korg DTR1000,is it possible to use the tuner for silent tune up without having it in the signal chain.I have it in the effects out on the amp and of course it only works if there's volume.There must be a better way.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by kennyrodg

What amp do you have?

I have my rack tuner coming out of the tuner output on my GK700RB II and mute the signal with the tuner mute button.

If you didn't have this then there should be an in and an out on the tuner(?) I've never had a good look at one before.

If you plug your bass into the tuner input and then run a patch lead from the output to the amp then pressing the mute button on the tuner should mute anything from coming out of your backline and the PA and enable you to tune up in silence

[quote name='Delberthot' post='352335' date='Dec 12 2008, 01:00 AM']What amp do you have?

I have my rack tuner coming out of the tuner output on my GK700RB II and mute the signal with the tuner mute button.

If you didn't have this then there should be an in and an out on the tuner(?) I've never had a good look at one before.

If you plug your bass into the tuner input and then run a patch lead from the output to the amp then pressing the mute button on the tuner should mute anything from coming out of your backline and the PA and enable you to tune up in silence[/quote]

But if you're are plugging your bass into the tuner isn't going to be in the signal chain?

I have the same problem I usually use the active button on my to make it really quiet tuning but this won't work if you use an active or you don't have the button.

Cheers guys,
I have a Crate BT350 head.
The tuner has and in/out and a mute but i dont really want to put it in the signal path if i can help it.
It works fine if there's volume from the amp as the tuner is connected via the send in the effects loop.
The amp does have an xlr and 1/4" line out with a volume control,would it be OK to try the tuner in that output ?? I've not wanted to try it up to now because if i do some damage i can't afford a replacement.
Thanks again. :)

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='352395' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:27 AM']Cheers guys,
I have a Crate BT350 head.
The tuner has and in/out and a mute but i dont really want to put it in the signal path if i can help it.
It works fine if there's volume from the amp as the tuner is connected via the send in the effects loop.
The amp does have an xlr and 1/4" line out with a volume control,would it be OK to try the tuner in that output ?? I've not wanted to try it up to now because if i do some damage i can't afford a replacement.
Thanks again. :)[/quote]

My tuner goes into my effects send and I don't return it works fine and it's out of the signal chain.

In order to get the mute button on the tuner to completely mute the signal it must be 100% in the signal path. That means before the amp input or in a series FX loop. That means that the tuner will have an affect on the the signal from the bass all the time. It also sounds as though the FX loop on this amp is in parallel if you're only getting attenuation rather than killing the signal completely.

IME most amps with a dedicated tuner out socket will have their own mute button on the amp itself, that kills the signal to all the outputs (including any DI and line outs) except the tuner for silent tuning.

There seem to be three possibilities:

1. Connect the tuner to one of the line outs and turn down the master volume while tuning. The effectiveness of this will depend where in the signal path the master volume and the line out are. Also this may not kill any DI to the PA depending upon where in the signal path this is.

2. Change the amp for one with a dedicated tuner out and a mute switch on the amp.

3. Change the tuner for one that can sit permanently in the signal path and not have a detrimental effect on the tone.

I don't understand why anyone would want a rack tuner. If you are putting on a show, the last thing you want to do is turn your back on the audience.

When I'm at a gig and the band finish a number and everyone dives for the tuner, I lose that connection. Even though the song has finnished, if the band members are interacting with each other, smiling at what the frontman says even though it's inane crap, you don't loose the audience and the show flows smoothly.

SeymourFluid

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='352719' date='Dec 12 2008, 02:16 PM']I don't understand why anyone would want a rack tuner. If you are putting on a show, the last thing you want to do is turn your back on the audience.

SeymourFluid[/quote]

1) Rack tuners have coloured moving lights.
2) You need another reason???? :)

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='352719' date='Dec 12 2008, 02:16 PM']I don't understand why anyone would want a rack tuner. If you are putting on a show, the last thing you want to do is turn your back on the audience.

SeymourFluid[/quote]

IMO looking down at your pedals on the floor is just as bad as turning around to check your rack. Your front person should be keeping the audience entertained for the short tuning break so it doesn't matter if not every member of the band is connecting with the audience all the time.

When I'm at a gig and the band finish a number and everyone dives for the tuner, I lose that connection. Even though the song has finnished, if the band members are interacting with each other, smiling at what the frontman says even though it's inane crap, you don't loose the audience and the show flows smoothly.

SeymourFluid[/quote]

There are all sorts of professional performers, including performers who do not tune their own instruments and whose roadies have racked tuners, and those who do. The real reason for a rack tuner is to rack it for whatever reason that it needs to be racked, - transport, travel, all in one, short wire runs, wireless performance, etc etc.

And when a frontman shuts his eyes and looks at his shoes are you saying the show is not smooth? Get real.

I went for the rack tuner simply to save unplugging the Bass and plugging in a wee tuner.My amp weighs a ton and the case and tuner dont really add so much as you'd notice but it does seem a lot more convinient,not forgetting the light show either.I bought the rack ears for my LMk2 when i had it but didnt get round to actually "racking" it before i sold it.
I can see a pedal doing it but then the down side i guess is the extra lead.

I am in the process of putting my 1st rack together at the moment. I admit it I'm a tart with a rack. It's a Boschma 3U with the DTR2000 on top LMII in the middle and when it arrives a dbx166XL compressor in the lower slot. It's a case (no pun intended) of arriving with 3 boxes, 2 x Aggie GS112's, and the Boschma with all the leads tucked in. I makes lugging stuff around so much easier and the likelyness of forgetting something less. It also looks good, the No 1 reason :)

Personally if I see musicians checking their tuning twixt numbers I see it as a part of the process of ensuring they sound good and care.