Why become a member? ×

Rhianna - Don't Stop The Music

Kiwi

This song has been a brain worm since we gave it a shot in rehearsal yesterday afternoon. Once the percussionist got his 606 bass drum sample going, it was a barn stormer! So in order that we can develop it with minimal rehearsal time I wanted to draft an initial remix structure and run a few things past the other band members to see what happens next time we're together.

I've noticed there are a few other songs that could be used for a mash up including

Wanna Get Something Started (which is in the original)
Small Town Boy - Bronski Beat (used by another youtuber in their remix)
La Isla Bonita - Madonna (mine)
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zepp (mine - that song seems to go with almost anything!)

Can anyone think of other songs with similar chord progressions and a pseudo latin feel that we could borrow bits from? I'd like to structure the song to introduce each mash up after the chorus and then layer over the parts to build the song into a finale.

Here are some suggestions. You may think they are terrible but maybe some would be ok.

Something like Crazy in Love by Beyonce is in a 'similar' vein and could work.
Heart of Glass - Blondie
Two can play that game - Bobby Brown
Midnight at the Oasis - Brand new heavies
Finally - ce ce peniston
Something Kinda Ooh - Girls aloud
Mr Brightside - The Killers (Jacques lu Cont Thin White Duke Mix)
Doctor Beat - Miami Sound machine
Dont Cha - The Pussycat dolls
Disturbia - Rhianna
Voodoo Child - Rogue Traders
Symathy for the devil - The Stones
Hips Dont Lie - Shakira
Rhythm is a dancer - Snap
Never Gonna Let you go - Tina Moore
Boogie Tonight - Tweet

The reason why i know all these tunes is because I DJ quite a lot :blush: To be fair I like most genres of music.

Anyway some of the above may be some inspiration but I could be missing the point completely.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='348285' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:25 AM']Something like Crazy in Love by Beyonce is in a 'similar' vein and could work.[/quote]

Thanks Steve! Some great suggestions there and I will give a listen to today. A structure is slowly piecing together in terms of how bits of songs could link but its like a jigsaw puzzle. I won't actually get an idea of the song as a whole until I've stopped making connections between components.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='348329' date='Dec 8 2008, 08:35 AM']I think the whole thing of basing your song on another's shows total lack of imagination (having a pop at Rihanna and her puppetmasters, not you!)[/quote]
I know where you're coming from but I guess that's the industrial side of the music industry, its about shifting product however you can. The creative process is just the start and obviously comes second to the profit imperative.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='348745' date='Dec 8 2008, 03:50 PM']'The creative process is just the start and obviously comes second to the profit imperative.'\

You missed out 'going forward...' :)[/quote]
I'll take raincheck on that, lets interface later after I've downloaded the bigger picture. :huh: