Why become a member? ×

Dodge 'Fender'?

Mr. Foxen

I'm no expert, but I'm trying to learn. The sunburst looks wrong and the pickups look to be round ended. Am I right? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-1971-1972-non-original-electrics_W0QQitemZ150314503633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item150314503633&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-197...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Well spotted Oli. The pickups - and therefore the body, because the routs match the pups, are 70s JapCrap, whatever the rest of it might be. The 7-screw bridge is a bit of a giveaway too.

He's very circumspect about everything but the neck, so I suspect he knows very well what it is.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Being the generally helpful fellow that I am, I've sent him this message:

[quote name='Know-All JapCrap Smartarse']Hi - for your information, the body, pickups and hardware of this bass are from a 1970s Japanese copy, they are absolutely not Fender parts. I am no particular Fender expert so cannot say whether or not the neck is what it purports to be, however I collect & study vintage Japanese guitars, and the round-end pickups, matching body routes and 7-screw bridge are typical Japanese copy components. It's reasonable to assume the same is true of the control plate & electronics. This is a positive ID, not guesswork or speculation, and my advice would be that you amend your listing to include this information. Cheers - Jon[/quote]

Ain't I nice? :)

J.

Actually to his credit he has posted my comment and was quite gracious about it. So he may have been completely genuine in his description.

This one's not ply - a lot of the solid wood JapCraps would still have a front & back veneer over a sandwich or butcher-block construction, hence the big black oversprays on 'bursts. The pic of the edge isn't clear enough to tell what sort of construction this one is but you can see it's not ply.

I think it would seem less iffy if the neck was sold separately. I don't know if it's the real deal, but I doubt someone would go to the length of faking a convincing vintage neck & think no-one would notice that it was stuck on an old copy body.

J.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='347483' date='Dec 6 2008, 08:12 PM']A very [s]sly[/s] clever seller. :huh:

More fool the sucker who gets drawn in by his response to the questions asked.[/quote]

I still stand by the first half of my comment, he may well be very clever in that he may get a decent price for what amounts to a 70's Fender neck and a junk body and electrics that would struggle to make £50 without a neck.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='347868' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:11 PM']A truthful and succinct summary of his listing... bet he doesn't appreciate it though. :)[/quote]

Yep I take my hat off to him, he's had the bottle to put up questions that he could have kept hidden.