Why become a member? ×

OLP MM22

Machines

Before the extinction of OLP by Ernie Ball just before the introduction of the new Sterling by Musicman range, OLP briefly produced the OLP MM22 and 32 basses. These were effectively a Stingray HH with 3 band EQ and 5 position switching. I remember trying one out in a shop in 2008 and being quite impressed by it, but not in the position to buy at the time. They were about £300. I saw this pop up on eBay recently for a decent price, but it didn't look in great condition. Took a risk on it as it was a cash converts type place with 30 day return policy, so it seemed a decent risk. Got it delivered to the local Argos in about 25 miles of bubble wrap which took me around 3 days to open, but the bass was intact so no big deal (recycling bin is full though).

It had beyond dead strings, so I didn't even plug it in at first. Snipped them off as I had some DRs Sunbeams on standby. The fretboard was disgusting and there was a lot of dust everywhere. Some lemon oil, a toothbrush and much scrubbing later - all was well. Plugged in there was issues with the switch, it would cut out in any neck position, a few squirts of WD40 contact cleaner saw to that.

In the end however, we have quite a serviceable bass. The EQ is good and the switching really opens up some possibilities. Bridge pickup is obvious, but position 4 is quite hollow (EB-0 ?), position 3 reminded me of my old Bongo HH, position 2 is very Jazz like and position 1 is a nice P like thump. Impressive stuff. Is it a keeper ? Yes, but so were the other 20+ basses I said that about.20190202_155312.thumb.jpg.78eb34fb29eeb16ab0319935903136d3.jpg

Something you might like to consider - WD40 is designed to repel water, so it may help as a cleaner in the short term, but it will leave a residue that will cause problems later. A proper switch cleaner is mainly solvent, and leaves no residue.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder