Why become a member? ×

World class musicians in a pub

arthurhenry

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

[... talking over the quiet bits, as would a Sibelius concert. ...]

In Finland no one EVER talks during a Sibelius concert.

Then again they don't talk much the rest of the time either...

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wellllll.........I walked into a crappy bar in New York where a band were playing. I sat down with  a pint and listened to them playing  pretty good Jazz Rock. I said to myself, that guitarist is obviously a big fan of Jeff Beck.

I later found out that the girl on drums was Kim Thompson (Beyonce's drummer), The bassist was the one and only anthony Jackson,  (steely Dan, Madonna, Buddy Rich) and the guitarist was Mike Stern (Miles Davis).

They would have probably have gone down like cold sick in the Dog & Duck (can you not play any Oasis?).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 29/01/2019 at 14:13, Dad3353 said:

I think that there are different aspirations from those in pubs, concert halls, festivals and busker sites. A concert in a pub can be done (I've done plenty enough...), but it's not the same, I reckon, as having a band in the corner whilst 'pub' activities are going on (I've done plenty of those, too..!). For concerts, I'd suggest comparison with classical music could be made, whereby one is going there specifically for the music (or jumping about, if that's part of the act...). A sober jazz concert would be spoiled if folks were jostling about, talking over the quiet bits, as would a Sibelius concert. Festivals are again a different kettle of fish, where folks can, and will, drift from one event to another, engage then potter off for a bite to eat, generally with a certain distance, both physical and mental, form the performance on stage. The antics of any one person in the audience is less important to the performer than the 'mass effect', getting the whole stadium (or muddy field; it depends...) to sway their hands in the air. Buskers have another effect still, as folks are, almost by the nature of things, passing by, with no previous intention of participating in an event. Sometimes it works, and a congregation forms, but that's more the exception than the rule, in general.
Different reactions, then, to whomsoever is performing by the very nature of the event. It seems quite logical to me that a 'star' could be ignored in a pub, but would be adulated in a stadium.

yeah, exactly this, it depends on the context.  If the crowd are there to hear a band they I reckon most would notice that the world class musicians are that bit better than the usual fare, but if they're not especially bother by the bands playing, or if the band is playing music that doesn't interest them then they simply won;t notice or care