Why become a member? ×

Using a 5/6 string pup in a 4 string bass...

Chris S

Alright!

I've been looking in to EMG pickups for a while, i just want that extra quality!

I have a schecter styletto which has pickups with a 4.5" housing. The only EMG's that are a 4.5" housing are the 6 string pickups. I believe these use blade magnets so shouldn't cause a problem if used with a 4 string bass... am i right?

Any advice would be ace - also sorry if this question has been asked before!

Cheers

[quote name='BassManKev' post='346253' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:10 AM']don't quote me, but i would image if they are blade magnets as you said, there will be no problem[/quote]
That's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't use 6 string pickups with pole pieces because of the different string spacings, but otherwise it should be OK.
Zach

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris S' post='346248' date='Dec 5 2008, 10:59 AM']Alright!

I've been looking in to EMG pickups for a while, i just want that extra quality!

I have a schecter styletto which has pickups with a 4.5" housing. The only EMG's that are a 4.5" housing are the 6 string pickups. I believe these use blade magnets so shouldn't cause a problem if used with a 4 string bass... am i right?

Any advice would be ace - also sorry if this question has been asked before!

Cheers[/quote]

Hope this goes well for you - doesn't the Schecter Stilleto come with EMG pickups as standard though?

I bought one in 2005 and it did

[quote name='BassManKev' post='346253' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:10 AM']don't quote me, but i would image if they are blade magnets as you said, there will be no problem[/quote]

yes i used an EMG 45DC in my 4 string...the blade magnets were full width so it worked ok

only when the blades are staggered as in the 30/35HB..precision style in a rectangular shape...would a 45 or 50 perhaps not pickup the signal
the blades being finite lengths to suit string spacing..

Edited by mrcrow

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='megallica' post='370024' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:04 PM']Hope this goes well for you - doesn't the Schecter Stilleto come with EMG pickups as standard though?

I bought one in 2005 and it did[/quote]

Yeah the newer ones come with the cheaper EMG-HZ ones, which i believe are just basic pickups. My styletto was bought probably back in 2003, and in all honesty the basic schecter pickups it came with were pretty pants. Now that im in a serious band i thought i should really invest in a good sound as i love the way this bass plays.

I came across a few problems with fitting them, in that they were too large... The 35DC's on the other hand would have been too small though and would have just looked completely daft. I spoke to a guy in my local village who is a professional classical guitar maker, and he said he'd route out the pickup holes in order to make the new ones fit, and redress the fretboard for 40 quid! Bargain.

I've had these fitted for about a week and i have to say the sound is stunning. Im desperate to gig with them now! =]

One thing i did notice while wiring them up, the diagram states that if you are running two pickups, you will only have one tone control (which i found a bit strange :/) But either way, i've wired it as it says and they sound great! Highly recommended.