Why become a member? ×

My new lightweight rig.

Mr.T

[quote name='sk8' post='350389' date='Dec 10 2008, 08:27 AM']i don't think the shuttle and neox combination sounds tinny. Sounds great with my P Bass[/quote]

Hi,

Please don't think I was suggesting that it sounds 'tinny'.
I am just interested in how some of the newer kit compares with the older stuff like my Trace, in a typical pub 'covers' type setting.

Its a different sound, but not lacking in bottom end. Not sure if it is a rig I would use if I was in a dub/reggae band like Rasta and Redstripe, but when I roll of the top and boost the bottom it does not sound too shabby.

Like all the modern hi-fi amps like Markbass and EBS, there is a lot more going on up top, and that means you can hear it better when playing in the pubs and clubs. I have had a lot less complaints from the other guys in the band about me being too loud since I swapped my old school Peavey for the EBS rig I had before this.

And if you dont like the sparkle you can turn it down with the tone controls, whereas if its not there in the first place you cant dial it in.

I wouldn't describe my Mark Bass LMII as Hi Fi whatsoever, in fact if anything it's quite old school with its VLE control. I understand the F1 has a bit more presence as standard so that would be a bit Hi Fi I guess. MB make a variety of gear for a variety of applications, hey they even have an all valve head these days! Glad you're liking the 2x10 Mr T.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='350628' date='Dec 10 2008, 01:03 PM']I wouldn't describe my Mark Bass LMII as Hi Fi whatsoever, in fact if anything it's quite old school with its VLE control. I understand the F1 has a bit more presence as standard so that would be a bit Hi Fi I guess. MB make a variety of gear for a variety of applications, hey they even have an all valve head these days! Glad you're liking the 2x10 Mr T.[/quote]
And without the VLE control?

I tried a few Markbass heads into Berg cabs, with EBS and Genz Benz rigs and there was not a lot of difference. The non neo Berg cabs made the most difference but we were not trying for old skool.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='351121' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:04 PM']And without the VLE control?[/quote]

Very flat response, just the sound of bass and cab pretty much. I consider Old School to be an old Ampeg type sound, which includes a fair bit of amp voicing IMO.

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='352037' date='Dec 11 2008, 06:46 PM']I like big speakers, I think they're louder and deeper.[/quote]

Don't know about that, the tiny ones in my Hi Fi have an absolutely awesome bottom end. Anyway not why I'm really posting, but more to acknowledge your great username. Oh freddled gruntbugly...........

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='350606' date='Dec 10 2008, 12:38 PM']And according to the interview in BGM Robbie Shakespeare now plays Markbass.[/quote]

Yeah absolutely mate...and great taste too, hence me and Redstriper converted to Markbass a few months ago - for me Markbass had the edge on the Eden but if it didn't have that magic VLE knob then i'd have kept the Eden for sure. Ironically i totally ate all my words with the Markbass, i didn't want to succumb to the Markbass hype and after preaching to my irie brethren about Edens & 6x10's shifting more air etc than any 15" could i'm now using two Markbass 15" cabs (one being the Berlin combo)....no more back breaking 6x10 :huh:

Anyhow, Markbass, the lightest rig i've ever played and for me the most versatile and best sounding reggae rig i've ever used....and interestingly i'm playing more funk than ever now :)

Oh dear, this will put the cat amongst the pigeons then....

I found my 'bottom end' cab today, and.... shock/horror.... it wasn't a 15! :) :huh:

I A/B'd an Aguilar GS112 with my Trace 15 and (This hurts for me to say)..... (Run for cover).... The little Aguilar had a warmer bottom end.
Not as loud as the Trace watt for watt, but that's Ok I can blend with my amp.

I wouldn't recommend the Aguilar as a standalone cab for all you 'hi-fi' guys, but to just warm up my neo 2 x 10 it is ideal.

So, job done!

My new rig is sorted.
I have shed a few pounds on the cabs (41 of them to be precise), gained a few on the amp but....
I can carry it on my own and it sounds superb (to my ears... and that's what counts).
It has more of everything (if and when needed) than my old Trace... and I didn't break the bank! :huh:

I can honestly say, and not the usual just because it is mine, "my toys are better than yours type Bullsh*t", with my old Status going through it, it is the best sounding bass rig I have owned.
(I was going to say "I have heard", but that might cause arguements).

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice... I am a happy bunny!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='352315' date='Dec 12 2008, 12:14 AM']I A/B'd an Aguilar GS112 with my Trace 15 and (This hurts for me to say)..... (Run for cover).... The little Aguilar had a warmer bottom end.
Not as loud as the Trace watt for watt, but that's Ok I can blend with my amp.[/quote]

4000 did a similar test with his trace 15 and the Aguilars (that I bought off him), and found the very same, the Aguilars had a fantastic btm end.....