Why become a member? ×

Hello!

BassPhil

Hey everyone...✌️

I've just joined here so I'm saying hello. I first picked up a bass in 1985 and after having played other instruments as well I have always come back to my first love. I've had a sheltered life (!) so for the last 20 years or so have only played bass in modern churches (no pews, no organ, big screen...) I have played with some awesome and talented other musicians but have never 'gigged' outside of a church setting. As a family we are moving to Nottingham in the Summer this year (long story) and I want to take the opportunity to get out with my bass more - once we land and settle I'll be searching for a guitarist to play with.

In relation to that I have a question : For the last 10 years I have only played using IEM's. (Thanks to a Behringer X32 desk) How common is this out there in the real world? I've seen some threads about it so I see that other bass players are using IEM's. Mainly I'm asking because I don't have an amp and haven't had for a long long time - I don't want to buy one if I don't need one.....

Anyway - I'm here...see you around the forums....

(I play a G&L L2000 Tribute and am just parting with my old Hofner Senator.)

Phil

Edited by BassPhil
Against the rules mention of selling something!

Good evening, Phil, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

No, you don't need an amp, but you may want something for home practise..? There are several options for that, such as a tiny combo, or a pedal with headphone outlet (or an Ampeg stack, naturally..!).
Just a word, though... Could you please remove the mention of your bass for sale..? It's against forum rules, unless you've an ad in our Marketplace (and even then, no links to Ebay ads..!). I play Hofners myself (Verithins...), and would ask why you'd want to part with such a fine instrument, but that's for another topic, perhaps. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation; meanwhile...

Have a nice day, and of course, Happy New Year..!

Douglas

22 hours ago, BassPhil said:

Hey everyone...✌️

I've just joined here so I'm saying hello. I first picked up a bass in 1985 and after having played other instruments as well I have always come back to my first love. I've had a sheltered life (!) so for the last 20 years or so have only played bass in modern churches (no pews, no organ, big screen...) I have played with some awesome and talented other musicians but have never 'gigged' outside of a church setting. As a family we are moving to Nottingham in the Summer this year (long story) and I want to take the opportunity to get out with my bass more - once we land and settle I'll be searching for a guitarist to play with.

In relation to that I have a question : For the last 10 years I have only played using IEM's. (Thanks to a Behringer X32 desk) How common is this out there in the real world? I've seen some threads about it so I see that other bass players are using IEM's. Mainly I'm asking because I don't have an amp and haven't had for a long long time - I don't want to buy one if I don't need one.....

Anyway - I'm here...see you around the forums....

I play a G&L L2000 Tribute and am just parting with my old Hofner Senator.)

Phil

hiya and wellcome 

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Douglas - edited my post above! Sorry about that...

I’m letting my Hofner go because I haven’t played it for a long time and I don’t have space in my house for more than one bass. It was going to become nothing more than an ornament looking pretty in the corner!!! I did love playing it for quite a few years but it was limited really in what it could handle. As you say - a discussion for another time maybe...

Phil