Why become a member? ×

£500,000 raised for Cancer Research UK

Mottlefeeder

Loose Change Buskers, based in South Manchester, are a group of about 30 musicians and collectors (bucketeers) whose sole aim is to raise money for Cancer Research UK. From small beginnings about eight years ago, we reached £100,000 after a few years but in the last 2-3 years, we have averaged about £100,000 per year.

For busking, we field a team of 10-16 people per day, changing the front line every couple of hours to keep it fresh. For functions, we have a 5-6 piece band drawn from the same pool of musicians. 

For me, it started out as a retirement hobby - 'a gig every so often would be nice' - fast forward four years and I'm playing 2-3 times a week: 9 gigs in one week is probably our record.

If anyone is interested in starting their own busking band to raise money for Cancer Research UK, please let me know and I will see whether the charity can put together an information pack like the one that got us started.

David

http://www.loosechangebuskers.org.uk/

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ha! I occasionally play cajon with Loose Change. It's always fun! Great crowd of friendly guys who enjoy playing music for a worthy cause - it's a welcome change from the full-on, loud 'n' proud 5-piece covers band I play in. I knew we were close to £500,000, and now we're there. That is a marvellous achievement. Here is one line-up playing at Goostrey Craft Centre in the summer. I'm on Cajon.

David aka Mottlefeeder - I'm always pleased to play with Loose Change - just let me know.

Steve

2075511725_Loosechange2.thumb.jpg.c8638a6743238dae54a303de264bcec8.jpg

20 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Ha! I occasionally play cajon with Loose Change. It's always fun! Great crowd of friendly guys who enjoy playing music for a worthy cause - it's a welcome change from the full-on, loud 'n' proud 5-piece covers band I play in. I knew we were close to £500,000, and now we're there. That is a marvellous achievement. Here is one line-up playing at Goostrey Craft Centre in the summer. I'm on Cajon.

David aka Mottlefeeder - I'm always pleased to play with Loose Change - just let me know.

Steve

2075511725_Loosechange2.thumb.jpg.c8638a6743238dae54a303de264bcec8.jpg

£456,000 in the summer to £500,000 between Christmas and new year - that's why we have January off!

I'm not sure we've ever shared the stage, so that's something to rectify in 2019.

David