Why become a member? ×

Gene Simmons

noirpunk

It's OK, I'm here!

....and thanks for the 'UK God Of Thunder' comments :o :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

After BC Rich produced the original prototypes (some of which had 4-in-a-line headstocks) Gene then took the design and (word is...) had them built by Fernandes for him to sell direct. I don't have proof of this... but Fernandes is the name most bandied around...

They're nice basses.... a little neck heavy, but nice and punchy/growly! :)

[quote name='cetera' post='345372' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:40 PM']It's OK, I'm here!

....and thanks for the 'UK God Of Thunder' comments :huh: :huh: :huh: :o :huh:

After BC Rich produced the original prototypes (some of which had 4-in-a-line headstocks) Gene then took the design and (word is...) had them built by Fernandes for him to sell direct. I don't have proof of this... but Fernandes is the name most bandied around...

They're nice basses.... a little neck heavy, but nice and punchy/growly! :)[/quote]

Cheers dude. Being quite the KISS fan I love Genes signature basses. I'm getting an Axe built for my collection, I'll have a guitar/bass for every member then. It'll take pride of place with my mirrorball Iceman :huh:

Hopefully I shall see you at the Point in a couple of days. That's if I can get a ride there. I caught you at the Guitarfest about a year or two back, damn good band! Couldn't believe the amount of pyro for the size of the venue haha!

[quote name='noirpunk' post='345397' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:00 PM']Cheers dude. Being quite the KISS fan I love Genes signature basses. I'm getting an Axe built for my collection, I'll have a guitar/bass for every member then. It'll take pride of place with my mirrorball Iceman :)

Hopefully I shall see you at the Point in a couple of days. That's if I can get a ride there. I caught you at the Guitarfest about a year or two back, damn good band! Couldn't believe the amount of pyro for the size of the venue haha![/quote]

Ooh! Nice Iceman! Who did that for you?
I have an original 1978 Paul Stanley signature Iceman in my collection but there ain't no way I'm letting my 'Paul' play it! lol!

Cool! Come up and say 'Hi'! afterwards! Should be one helluva party - doors open at 6.30, the new Paul Stanley live DVD will be screened immediately, then we'll do a two hour show with all the pyro/firebreathing etc, hopefully at least one 'dancing girl' and thenBogiez rock club afterwards! :huh:

That Guitarfest appearance was a last minute thing - glad you enjoyed it! We had to use their gear and just get up and play!

Nice! I do love that Iceman shape - even better with the mirror finish!

This is rather OT, but still in the theme of Kiss guitars - does anyone know what make/model of guitar Paul used on the Heavens on Fire video was? It was really pointy and had a holographic kind of effect. One of the most gloriously 80's looking guitars I've ever seen!

[quote name='cetera' post='345441' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:19 PM']Ooh! Nice Iceman! Who did that for you?
I have an original 1978 Paul Stanley signature Iceman in my collection but there ain't no way I'm letting my 'Paul' play it! lol!

Cool! Come up and say 'Hi'! afterwards! Should be one helluva party - doors open at 6.30, the new Paul Stanley live DVD will be screened immediately, then we'll do a two hour show with all the pyro/firebreathing etc, hopefully at least one 'dancing girl' and thenBogiez rock club afterwards! :)

That Guitarfest appearance was a last minute thing - glad you enjoyed it! We had to use their gear and just get up and play![/quote]

I bought it as is from a KISS fan up in Newcastle. Wipes the floor with my Silvertone Sovereign Pro *suprise suprise*/ My Washburns the best tho, it's the PS500. I got a 78 Greco Frehley copy too.
Hopefully I shall be there and I'll say hello. What bass(es) are you gonna use?

[quote name='agoulding' post='345914' date='Dec 4 2008, 09:42 PM']im pretty sure he used spector at some point[/quote]

Yep, he used a one-off custom design Spector (Based on an SB-1) from 1976-1980 and then again from 1990-1994 before it was sold at auction for over $20000. He also had another one-off (based on an SB-1 with slightly longer top horn) which he used from 1979-1984.

He also used an NS2 in promo vids around 1985/86 and an NS2J in promo vids in 1985/86 and 1990.

I'll get me anorak..... :huh: :)

[quote name='noirpunk' post='345714' date='Dec 4 2008, 05:03 PM']I bought it as is from a KISS fan up in Newcastle. Wipes the floor with my Silvertone Sovereign Pro *suprise suprise*/ My Washburns the best tho, it's the PS500. I got a 78 Greco Frehley copy too.
Hopefully I shall be there and I'll say hello. What bass(es) are you gonna use?[/quote]

Hey, I have the Washburn & Greco too.... along with the Silvertone (cracked mirror) and a rare Silvertone 'Preacher' prototype! Cool :)

Basses I'll use in the show are an authentic custom built copy of his original 1976 Spector SB1 and a custom built Kramer 'Axe'. See you there! :huh:

[quote name='cetera' post='346285' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:39 AM']Hey, I have the Washburn & Greco too.... along with the Silvertone (cracked mirror) and a rare Silvertone 'Preacher' prototype! Cool :)

Basses I'll use in the show are an authentic custom built copy of his original 1976 Spector SB1 and a custom built Kramer 'Axe'. See you there! :huh:[/quote]

Ah nice! Bit of a sneaky move by Mr Stanley there designing the Preacher at Silvertone then going over to Washburn again.
I tried a Washburn Preacher up in Music Live, the gold PS7000 model. Quite impressed considering it was made in Indonesia of all places! I don't blame him for going back to Washburn at all, the quality is heaps better. I never really got why he went to Silvertone... they must have paid him incredibly handsomely!