Why become a member? ×

lakland DJ 4 string

jerseytrev

going to the bass gallery next monday alex says they have a DJ with a maple board black body ,was gioing for a rosewood but he does not have one . is there any reason for not getting the maple.my other basses are rosewood including my two guitars ,so i do not know what they are like wearwise or playing . any advice would be welcome .
ps will be in london from friday .

Edited by jerseytrev

Don't be going there, buy Alan's from the for sale section on here, superb bass.

I had a rosewood board one in LP blue, Alan's is black/maple. Both of them had Aero's and I couldn't hear the difference. However, it is true that some rosewood boarded bass are darker sounding generally, and maple is brighter.

[quote name='Rayman' post='344334' date='Dec 3 2008, 04:48 PM']Don't be going there, buy Alan's from the for sale section on here, superb bass.

I had a rosewood board one in LP blue, Alan's is black/maple. Both of them had Aero's and I couldn't hear the difference. However, it is true that some rosewood boarded bass are darker sounding generally, and maple is brighter.[/quote]
tempted but a bit far for me to go, only over for a long weekend with the wife . a very small window for bass buying ,like the black pickguard looks ace ,have one on my strat which is also black .so it seems the maple is ok no issues.

I'm a bit 'old school' and I prefer a warmer tone and not too fizzy. Put it this way, my '73 Precision hasn't been picked up for a while now. If I had the cash I would snap up that black one just because it looks so nice!

I would like to compare a rosewood and maple just too see if there is a great deal of difference tho.

[quote name='Jamolah' post='344723' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:35 PM']Anybody have any comments regarding the difference in feel between maple/RW? I've only ever had dark wood boards on my basses and am curious about the difference (if any) a maple neck might make.[/quote]

Think this old chesnut's been battered about a fair bit.

IMHO strings make a lot more difference than the board wood. I think it takes ideal conditions and a highly trained ear to determine differences between same model basses maple/RWood, same strings etc in a dark room! (guess I've never experienced either - cos I can't) Main difference I think is the 'feel'. FWIW I personally just prefer Rosewood, but it shows how much it really matters to me as 2 out of 3 of mine are maple :)

Edited by martthebass

I've got two DJ4s, one rosewood and one maple and there naff all difference really to cloth-eared idiots like me and 95% of bassists. I have Aero pups on the one and Chi-Sonics on the other and they are both fabulous. I have the rosewood/Aeros one with flats on it and the Maple/Chi one is my main gigging bass with Elixirs.

Do like the man say and buy Alan's - you'll have people creaming over it for years. I want another one to modify but I'm just not ready yet. :)

Also, Laklands are so consistent that you can buy unseen with confidence, no problem.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='344822' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:40 PM']I've got two DJ4s, one rosewood and one maple and there naff all difference really to cloth-eared idiots like me and 95% of bassists. I have Aero pups on the one and Chi-Sonics on the other and they are both fabulous. I have the rosewood/Aeros one with flats on it and the Maple/Chi one is my main gigging bass with Elixirs.

Do like the man say and buy Alan's - you'll have people creaming over it for years. I want another one to modify but I'm just not ready yet. :huh:

Also, Laklands are so consistent that you can buy unseen with confidence, no problem.[/quote]
would he send it to jersey :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='344582' date='Dec 3 2008, 07:00 PM']As has been already said, maple is brighter with more attack & rosewood is softer and more mellow. Great sounding basses, though.

Rich.[/quote]

Dead right about the sound, Rich. They [i]do[/i] feel different to me, too - rosewood feels softer, somehow, more fluid to play, whereas maple is harder, faster, possibly a bit more articulate. One thing I do know - neck profile and strings being equal - is that my left hand gets more tired by the end of the night on a maple fingerboard.