Why become a member? ×

Bristol BCers

dangerboy

Hello to the South-West,

I have a friend who is about to start on the bass. He's 16, and has never played before. Do you have any advice on where he could get good customer service and help in or near Bristol? I guess he needs a shop with a good selection of starters and used basses, who are going to hold his hand a bit, and make sure that whatever he buys is properly set up. So stock of Musicmans, boutique brands etc etc doesn't really come into the question - it's all about the hand-holding.

Any suggestions?

DBM on Gloucester Rd, the Drum bit is opposite teh Texaco at the Somerville road junction, the guitar bit is 100 yards north of that on the right.

300 yards south of that, opposite The Prom music bar is a place that sells used basses, amps, cabs, effects, mics and stuff (and load of disco stuff). Not cut price but their stuff tends to be on the "beginners" side.

Hand holding may be difficult to find in a shop so signing up for some lessons is the best way to go .. most tutors also know of gear for sale by their students upgrading so a call to a few may resolve things.

The Folk House on Park Street has some courses, they used to do a blues workshop course where a bass player could go alongside 6 stringers, etc
[url="http://www.bristolfolkhouse.co.uk/index.html"]http://www.bristolfolkhouse.co.uk/index.html[/url]

There's probably other adult education courses that may work for your friend.

Also have a trawl round the Bristol Rocks Website
[url="http://www.bristolrock.co.uk/"]http://www.bristolrock.co.uk/[/url]
Loads of stuff there.

That should keep them busy for a bit.

I have recently started playing bass.
I went to every bass selling shop in Bristol, and the ONLY place i got any semblance of decent sevice and an informed opinion was Drum bank on the Glos Rd. The was a slightly older chap in there who was really helpful.
what was sound control, and now reverb, isnt so good.
Mickleburghs was ok-ish
Electrofix didnt really have any basses
Jam was waaaay too expensive!
Rikkaxe was demoralising, and they had very little stock. The Bloke who said he owned was down right depressing!

Hope this helps
Matt

[quote name='OldGit' post='343804' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:03 AM']DBM on Gloucester Rd, the Drum bit is opposite teh Texaco at the Somerville road junction, the guitar bit is 100 yards north of that on the right.

300 yards south of that, opposite The Prom music bar is a place that sells used basses, amps, cabs, effects, mics and stuff (and load of disco stuff). Not cut price but their stuff tends to be on the "beginners" side.

Hand holding may be difficult to find in a shop so signing up for some lessons is the best way to go .. most tutors also know of gear for sale by their students upgrading so a call to a few may resolve things.

The Folk House on Park Street has some courses, they used to do a blues workshop course where a bass player could go alongside 6 stringers, etc
[url="http://www.bristolfolkhouse.co.uk/index.html"]http://www.bristolfolkhouse.co.uk/index.html[/url]

There's probably other adult education courses that may work for your friend.

Also have a trawl round the Bristol Rocks Website
[url="http://www.bristolrock.co.uk/"]http://www.bristolrock.co.uk/[/url]
Loads of stuff there.

That should keep them busy for a bit.[/quote]
dbm is just one combined shop now

Drum bank is one of the better shops to go into. But the awesomest source of a huge variety of basses and bass related equipment and knowledge is past the town end of Glos. Road in Stokes Croft, in the flat I live in with Joe Garcia. Plenty of awesome bargains we both see in every concievable second hand bass selling place and constantly try and encourage each other to buy.

Happy to chat bass and have a cup of tea any time, since I'm not working at the moment, and if he can give me an idea of budget, can steer him towards something local and ideal on the second hand market, and I'll do a setup and such on it, cause I'm really that bored.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='344168' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:36 PM']Hey Foxen,

Sounds good - I'll pass the offer on. I've posted a few pedals to that flat, I think. And Joe has one of my old basses.

Only problem is that this kid's a lefty - there just aren't as many bargains out there![/quote]

Oh, man, there was a lefty Thunder II for sale for ages and he was willing to take a crappy offer cause of a neck break (Waghorn could fix for economical amount). Must be gone by now.

There's always Reverb. OK, it's not exactly inspiring but a beginner friend of mine recently bought one of those Squire starter packs and it's not a bad deal for the money.

I'd suggest he stays well away from Rickaxxe, unless Eugene is working.

[quote name='TheRev' post='344252' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:48 PM']There's always Reverb. OK, it's not exactly inspiring but a beginner friend of mine recently bought one of those Squire starter packs and it's not a bad deal for the money.

I'd suggest he stays well away from Rickaxxe, unless Eugene is working.[/quote]

Eugenes not working there any more. Met him in Aldi, he still says 'bass' most words though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='344259' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:52 PM']Eugenes not working there any more. Met him in Aldi, he still says 'bass' most words though.[/quote]

That's a shame - he was always a truly helpful bloke - no bullsh*t

[quote name='dangerboy' post='344168' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:36 PM']Only problem is that this kid's a lefty - there just aren't as many bargains out there![/quote]

If he's only just starting to play, then he'd probably be best off learning to play right-handed. He'll be grateful in the long run.

S.P.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='344168' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:36 PM']Hey Foxen,

Sounds good - I'll pass the offer on. I've posted a few pedals to that flat, I think. And Joe has one of my old basses.

Only problem is that this kid's a lefty - there just aren't as many bargains out there![/quote]

Aahh NOW you tell us..
There's a handful of sinister basses and guitars in that used gear shop opposite The Prom.
I didn't look too hard but there were two or three OK used leftie basses in the back room last time I was there, and a few left handed amps (:))
Take Mr Foxen up on his incredibly kind offer and go for a look..

[quote name='TheRev' post='344252' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:48 PM']There's always Reverb. OK, it's not exactly inspiring but a beginner friend of mine recently bought one of those Squire starter packs and it's not a bad deal for the money.[/quote]

Aaaaaaaaargh! no starter packs! Total waste of good money. Or at least wait til after Christmas and get one used (but not much) from Trade it...

You can get those starter pack amps for bu66erall in cash converter but he's better off spending enough to get a reasonably loudish combo so he doesnt have to upgrade when he getsto play little gigs.

+1 on learning right handed from the start. There's loads of lefties playing right handed on here and in Famous Rock Land.

Haven't bought a bass from a shop for over ten years so I haven't really had much experience of many of them in Bristol, but I'd try Heron Music in St.George. Fella who runs it (Dave) is really nice helpful guy, he's also a member of Killing Joke's roadcrew! :)

[quote name='nick' post='344675' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:11 PM']I forgot....one of my favourites for lurking over vintage Japcrap; Electric Ladyland, Old Market.
Just a visit alone, is an experience in itself.[/quote]

I'm not sure it will be a good experience for 16 yr old tbh. Gave me a fear of what might happen if I buy too much old gear.

[quote name='nick' post='344642' date='Dec 3 2008, 07:40 PM']Haven't bought a bass from a shop for over ten years so I haven't really had much experience of many of them in Bristol, but I'd try Heron Music in St.George. Fella who runs it (Dave) is really nice helpful guy, he's also a member of Killing Joke's roadcrew! :)[/quote]

Dave still in business then? Good oh!