Why become a member? ×

First USA stingray tickle...

uk_lefty

Yesterday I tickled a USA musician stingray for the first time. Absolute bass-love. The punchiness in the sound is to die for, I can't get that from my P bass or others. The three band EQ was more intuitive than my Sire with its two mid controls that baffle me. The bass was perfectly shaped and perfect weight. It probably topped the Sandberg P+MM I tried out a few years back, the presence that a Stingray pickup brings is just the nuts. 

I tried a Sterling Ray34 in the past and didn't get this same level of satisfaction. I tried the stingray against a Warwick double buck and the Stingray was head and shoulders above it IMO, no matter how much I wanted to love the Warwick equally. 

However I didn't get to try this against a USA Fender Jazz. Very different basses I know, but I would like to have played the USA jazz. If I get a Stingray (or other) it's my Mexican Jazz that will go, I can't justify having more than four basses... 

Should I have tried it against the USA Jazz? Is this the start of a Stingray obsession???

Hmmm, the articulation and preciseness of the Stingray is similar to the Jazz, but to me the `Ray just has a lot more oomph to it. It`s one of those things though, if you loved the `Ray that much I think the answer is already there - and don`t forget it may be that exact `Ray that you love so much. Bite the bullet and snap it up before someone else takes it.

• Like 1

My wife was there with me. She even told me to buy it!!! I'm waiting on some news any day now, and if that goes my way the Ray will be my own personal momento of the occasion!

Bit sad the Warwick was so far behind it though. I think now, having owned one in the past also, that no matter how much I want to love a Warwick, I just can't.

The ‘Ray has one of the most ‘immediate’ sounds that I’ve ever heard.   I felt the same playing one for the first time in the mid 80s in Sound Control in Glasgow, and have loved them ever since.   The Jazz can get you a mid scoop type sound with both pickups,  similar to what you can get with a ‘Ray, but doesn’t have the same active cojones.   You actually need a Precision, ‘Ray and Jazz in any decent collection as all are very different but excellent in their own way.   Hold a gun to my head and ask me to pick one, it’d be a 2EQ ‘Ray every time.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

My wife was there with me. She even told me to buy it!!! I'm waiting on some news any day now, and if that goes my way the Ray will be my own personal momento of the occasion!

Bit sad the Warwick was so far behind it though. I think now, having owned one in the past also, that no matter how much I want to love a Warwick, I just can't.

Sounds great. All you've got to do now is choose the colour!! And there are a few to choose from. They and great basses and the new ones are even better. Here's my latest. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d716b3c7e21adc651e40c2f62b7f6372.jpeg

• Like 1

I have been through so many basses but there is just something about the Stingray that just keeps sucking me back in.

like others have said they are just snappy and precise sounding and can sound so big. There are some stupidly cheap ones around secondhand even some really nice special models that are a lot cheaper than a new one if your in a budget.

I started out on a Stingray after the Warwick I went to buy from sound control in Birmingham was faulty! 

I had cash in my pocket to burn and that was it. Nearly 20 years later and they are still my go to bass albeit with a jazz along side and they've all gained a B string these days. 

I've never got the one trick pony thing, I think that applies to one trick players. 

• Like 2