Why become a member? ×

70's Jazz ?

steve-soar

I don't know about this one, the lines of the black of the sunburst look strange, the finger board is a totally different colour to the headstock (could be down to a re-fret), pickups dying after a year? but the thing that looks the most odd is the bare wood on the rear contour, I hope I'm being paranoid.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-Fender-Jazz-bass-sunburst-sounds-awesome_W0QQitemZ110319817544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item110319817544&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-1976-Fender-...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Apart from the fact it's a private auction, which is guaranteed to make me run a mile, it seems honest enough at face value. IMO.

The rear 'burst isn't massively unusual. The headstock suggests it's been in the sunlight or a very smoky room all it's life. The headstocks are a different finish which ages, while the poly on the neck resists it.

Still, caveat emptor etc.

Edited by wateroftyne

Either way, the serial number suggests 77-78, and the block, non-serifed italic 'JAZZ BASS' might indicate the middle - latter end of that period, when they switched the type face. So, maybe late 77, early 78?

It's just unfortunate that the (probably genuine but a bit excessive) headstock wear includes the area round the logo, which might imply 'forgery' to some.

The headstock faces (but not the sides or back) of this period were nitro'd, the neck poly'd (and I've got a similarly two-toned Tele). His camera may be exaggerating the 'David Dickinson-esque' hue of the headstock face.

I need to get out more.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='342578' date='Dec 2 2008, 12:44 AM']The headstock faces (but not the sides or back) of this period were nitro'd, the neck poly'd (and I've got a similarly two-toned Tele). His camera may be exaggerating the 'David Dickinson-esque' hue of the headstock face.[/quote]

I can pomise you my 73 is real - and the headstock colour makes David Dickenson look the colour of a peeled potato!! It's so dark that in certain lights it looks painted.

I can't take issue with the back of the body either.

I'm happy about this one and the guy lists his mobile - I'd ring it and go look.

I bought this. it's original OK, but there were lots of issues that weren't listed on the auction. Weighs a ton but has the most amazing tone. It's with Andy Viccars now for a refret and a little cosmetic magic - I'll post pics when it comes back around christmas time,

Col

[quote name='King Tut' post='348877' date='Dec 8 2008, 05:56 PM']I bought this. it's original OK, but there were lots of issues that weren't listed on the auction. Weighs a ton but has the most amazing tone. It's with Andy Viccars now for a refret and a little cosmetic magic - I'll post pics when it comes back around christmas time,

Col[/quote]Jeez mate, you're as bad as me!
Nice one Col, I reckon you've got a winner there, hope to see it in the flesh one day (it's gonna look awesome next to thet maple Precision I sold you as well)
Chris

[quote name='King Tut' post='348877' date='Dec 8 2008, 05:56 PM']I bought this. it's original OK, but there were lots of issues that weren't listed on the auction. Weighs a ton but has the most amazing tone. It's with Andy Viccars now for a refret and a little cosmetic magic - I'll post pics when it comes back around christmas time,

Col[/quote]

Hope you enjoy it lots :)