Why become a member? ×

How often have you needed a backup amp?

Pea Turgh

27 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

That is not usual. Are you buying used bargains on their last legs, or driving them to death?

Its becoming "the new normal" for me. This one was slightly different, I had actually bought a more powerful amp and just sold the previous one, its arrived with the buyer but its buzzing - I suspect this time, its not my fault and its been damaged in transit. I took out insurance, so barring their finding a ridiculous exemption in the policy, I should be okay. And if not, it will need to be sent back to me, then I return it to the shop (its ~4 months old). So apologies for the slightly sensationalist post but I thought it was useful to illustrate that equipment, basically can't be relied upon and its always sensible to have a plan B because anything/everything could go faulty, get damaged, stolen, etc etc and "the show must go on"!!!

On 18/11/2018 at 10:17, warwickhunt said:

I've been playing/gigging live for 38 years and I've never had an amp or cab die on me.  I do however take a DI box so I could go into PA as last resort.  

This ^

Watch it happen next week now I've said that... 😕

Once, and fairly recently.

Amp went intermittent on a gig in the second spot couldn't really do a changeover (due to the nature of our set).  Fortunately things settled down and I was able to carry on.  Used the back up amp for the following two gigs while the LM3 was in the shop.  Ironically it turned out the problem was a dodgy speakon cable - a maplins special.  Lesson learned.

A couple of years back we supported a 'named' band and the 'name' wasn't for sharing gear (or being helpful on stage space usage).  I asked their bassist if he would like to double up on the bass rig (our respective rigs weren't too dissimilar - me on MarkBass him on Aguilar).  I got a 'sniffy' down the nose 'no' in response.  I had to smirk when his Tone Hammer went up in smoke half way through his first set and he had to delay proceedings while he hastily changed amps.

Edited by martthebass

Been regular gigging for 10 years, and irregular for 10 before that, and I've never had an amp die on me. I used to carry a spare and only used it once, when the guitarist's amp died. He went through my main amp and I used my spare (main amp at least had a valve preamp, sounded surprisingly good).

I haven't bothered carrying a spare for years, but after reading this thread will get a cheap DI to put in the kit bag.