Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Advice

redbandit599

On 20/10/2018 at 12:28, FDC484950 said:

When I was at the bass show in February I saw a prototype combustion 6-string on the Bass Direct stand. What happened to that? Did they decide against putting it into production?

I believe it’s being produced, but they have not yet come into circulation. 

On 19/10/2018 at 19:08, ead said:

Looks lovely.

I think I must be the only person on here that doesn't get on with Dingwalls (not for the fanned frets which are fine).

Nope, I don't get them either. The fan fret thing seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The note weight across strings is inconsistent (you thought the Stingray had a weak G?!). The clearer than clearer B is a figment of people's imagination. Those pickguards slice your knuckles open if you dare slap (however, some people may say that's a positive thing).

Apart from that, they're great, I guess. Each to their own though - I suspect there's people out there that don't get my choice of bass either!

On 19/10/2018 at 19:08, ead said:

Looks lovely.

I think I must be the only person on here that doesn't get on with Dingwalls (not for the fanned frets which are fine).

Another "nope, me too". Had a ABZ 4 for a very short time. Love the look, loved the neck, could not get on with the pickup position and couldn't get a tone out of it I liked. the ABZ 4 I had was passive, maybe that was part of the problem, but wasn't going to spend even more to put that right. Traded for an EBMM Sterling which does me just fine.

I've had mine for years now, and it's withstood the ravages of GAS-based changes, and it's the only non-Shuker gigging bass I have. Which is saying a lot, trust me...

Having said that, it's got the P-Tone pickup in it, and a John East U-Retro, too, so it's kinda an ABZ4+

Oh, and it weighs a sniff over 7.5lbs, and is probably the most resonant bass I have.