Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Roadworn 50s P Bass

ianrendall

The thing to remember about Precisions like this, is that back in the late 50's and early 60's Precisions were mass produced bolt together run of the mill basses for the working bass player. 

They weren't high end super duper custom crafted instruments. 

The price of a pre-cbs P doesn't reflect this heritage any more. 

The roadworn, however, is bang on this theme - it's a good value solid working bass with a proven design built to the same formula that Leo came up with in 57. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

If it weren`t for the fact that the colours of the RWs are not that much to my liking I would have had one of them years ago.

I think that's why I sold mine, which was a stupid reason. I should have refinished it: firstly that would have made me keep it - and secondly a refin would probably have reduced its resale value, which would have made me keep it. Doh!

My longest-lived P has been an original 1969/70 one, so not pre CBS, but still now getting on for 48 years old. It's lovely, its played in and its comfortable, and its only about 3.8kg. It's 7.25" but has been refretted with medium jumbo frets, which is a lovely combination (same as the Nate Mendel P).

But for about 10 years I also used a mid 1990s MIA Precision for regular gigs, and while it was very cool, the RWs are probably way closer to how a vintage P sounds and plays.

My MIJ Mustang has 7.25" and vintage frets and its actually dead easy to play, so maybe i'm overthinking it.

On 28/09/2018 at 19:57, discreet said:

Actually that's my least favourite detail... especially as I once genuinely accidentally put a fag burn on a P Bass headstock in 1976. If you had told me then that basses would come with fake pre-burnt headstocks from new, I would NOT have believed it... :)

Me neither ! I had a hard time kicking tobacco . They do sound good- like a Precision should !

Thanks for the encouraging replies - I think I made a good decision with this bass!

Just some advice needed really. On my GK MB200 (currently my only amp) I have the treble and high mid rolled back to 11, low mid at 1 and bass at 12. Sounds good. Is this a good EQ setting or does anyone have any ideas to get it even more classic P-like? Single cab Barefaced 12”

Edited by ianrendall

40 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Is this a good EQ setting or does anyone have any ideas to get it even more classic P-like?

Buy an Ampeg B15... :biggrin:  Seriously though, if it sounds good to you, then it IS good. Are you using flats?

Edited by discreet

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

No but once the D’ads have gone off I’ll be getting me some tapewounds! 👍

Better, but if you want that 60s sound on the hits of the time, fit La Bellas. You may not want that sound, of course. My RW had them and it absolutely nailed the classic P tone. :)

47 minutes ago, discreet said:

Better, but if you want that 60s sound on the hits of the time, fit La Bellas. You may not want that sound, of course. My RW had them and it absolutely nailed the classic P tone. :)

Don’t they add tension? I hate fiddling with my truss. I’ve heard good things about TI’s

Edited by ianrendall

3 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Don’t they add tension? I hate fiddling with my truss. I’ve heard good things about TI’s

TIs are superb - but... it’s more likely you’ll need to adjust the truss with them as they are low tension compared to La Bellas - but, it depends on what you have on now... ;)

7 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

I am correct to assume that the P bass is all about the low mids?

Yes. The P has a baked-in low-mid push that really sits in the mix beautifully. It also records very well DI, which is why engineers and sound guys like it so much.

Also considering swapping out the pup. The last P I had came with a Nordstrand which was lovely, but I think I want a bit more punch. Friend of mine has a SD Quarter Pounder in his which he loves (video of it below, playing through the Trace amp that I now own) Or is that contradicting my wants for a classic P tone? I do like to keep my basses as ‘in house’ as possible so maybe a Fender CS 62 pup?

Edited by ianrendall

28 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Or is that contradicting my wants for a classic P tone? I do like to keep my basses as ‘in house’ as possible so maybe a Fender CS 62 pup.

The stock pick up is a beaut. Play the bass for a good while before you throw the baby out with the bathwater. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, discreet said:

The stock pick up is a beaut. Play the bass for a good while before you throw the baby out with the bathwater. :)

It’ll be a while before I look at swapping it out. I’m extremely fastidious with my gear research. I’ll also keep the rounds on for a good while to deaden them up.

And besides, I’m saving hard for a Sadowsky so that will come first!

Edited by ianrendall