Why become a member? ×

EBS HD350/TD650

Geoff

[quote name='whynot' post='452297' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:01 PM']Pretty sure I'll be back with an EBS head sometime soon as well.
Heard a rumour months ago they were working on a micro amp to compete in that field.[/quote]

They are... 2000 watts... mutter, mutter....

• 6 years later...

Hey Guys!

Just want to open this can of worms back up!

Question for those who have tried both, power aside how do you find the difference in tone? Do you find there is a lot of added benefit to the tubes in the TD650? Also is the DI better quality?

I'm going to be using it mainly for theatre stuff, tributes etc.

Cal

I've got/had the 350, 360, 360, 650, Fafner.

No discernable difference in the DI although obviously if you are using the tube of the TD650, you'll hear the influence of the tubes on that. I don't like tubes for bass (yes for guitar, no for bass) so the addition of tubes on the the TD650 is a feature I don't use. Similar, I don't use the tube emulation on the HD350.

With regards to the DI however, I would get an attenuator, -10, -15 or -20... because the DI can be too hot for some desk preamps - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=xlr+attenuator&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=xlr+attenuator&_sacat=0"]http://www.ebay.co.u...nuator&_sacat=0[/url]

The HD350 has a slightly different tone if you do an A/B test - I prefer the HD350 - but unless the two were side by side, I would wager that you could not tell the difference. It really is minimal.

In terms of volume difference. 3db. So not worth talking about... but the HD350 is a lot lighter than the TD650. For a 4Ohm load, both amps put out about the same. It's only when you get to a 2 Ohm load, you can make use of the extra watts put out by the 650....

So in reality, I guess it all comes down to whether you are going to make use of that tube or not.

My go to amp? 350.

My 650 serves as my practice amp!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

I have an HD350 and love it. It's so clean and articulate. Just like ebs Freak I don't like tubes in my signal path and that's why I went 350 not 650. I use a schroeder 21012 4ohm cab which has a good tweeter and the sound is just what I look for in a bass. Can't see where you are as I'm on mobile but if you're local you're welcome to come try mine.