Why become a member? ×

Import duties on trades ? Anyone has any experience?

fiatcoupe432

Hi Guys , 

i ve just made a trade with a member on the chat ! 

The member lives in marocco , so I had to post my bass to Spain and his friend will drive it down to avoid custom duties as in marocco they are very strict for items coming from Europe ! 

However we tried to find information from items coming from marocco to Europe and seems there are no duties to pay ! 

Last night talking to a friend of mine told me that I'm gonna be charged import duties 💯 % . 

So I wonder ...... will I be charged or  not ? 

The item is not new and it wasn't purchased , just a trade ! 

So can they uk charge import duty over a trade ? 

Morocco being outside the EU, yes, you will normally have to pay VAT plus an administration fee. VAT is charged over the assumed value, not over the price. The assumed value is set by She-Who-Is-Royal's Revenue and Customs or by someone (like a shipper) who is licensed to do this on their behalf.

Then there is the other issue of CITES rules. Stuff like rosewood and mother-of-pearl may need a fee and a license, or just a license. For a better explanation, see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cites-imports-and-exports , where you can find a pdf file that mentions rosewood exemptions and weight for example. 

You should realise BTW that "export rules for the US", as often found on ze innerwebz,  is not the same as "import rules for the UK". As an example, I ordered a bass from the US with neck inlays that were exempt from fees on import here, but they were not exempt from US fees when exporting from there.

13 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Even on trades ? So if you do not purchase and not money being transferred ? You still need to pay vat? 

A trade is a purchase, really, but paid with something other than normal currency. It's an exchange of values. In theory, the person receiving should be paying local taxes, too. Why should a trade be any different to a monetary sale..? :|
The debate as to why one has taxes on anything at all is a different one.

• Like 1

IIRC Vat has to be paid when an item comes into the country ( or the eu as a whole) for the first time.

so even if it’s used it might get vat’d.

and the 20% will be added to the item value and the shipping costs as well. 

Doesnt matter that that it’s a trade. You are just buying it with an item that has its own value rather than money.