Why become a member? ×

Music Therapy/Helping Others Advice

Linus27

So, I’m after some advice but I’m also not quite sure what I am asking for so hopefully my ramblings make some sense. I’ve been very fortunate to have had an incredible musical career with many highs which is still happening today with my current band. It has spanned some 30 years and I do consider myself to be very lucky. As we are all aware, music is an amazing language and an emotional experience and can bring so much happiness to people on so many levels. For me though, it has always been about me, taking what I want, chasing my dreams and achieving them but I feel that I would like to give something back. Even more so now since there is nothing more I can achieve musically

I am aware that there are those who have not been so fortunate due to circumstance out of their control, for example born with a disability, through an illness or personal circumstances etc. They’ve not been given the opportunities that I have or been in a position to chase their dreams and I feel that perhaps, I might be able to offer some of my experience, skills, time and knowledge to perhaps enrich or enhance their lives. I have 30 years of musical experience, primarily as a bassist but also as a performer and songwriter. I can also tinker on the piano, drums and guitar to a degree but I feel that I can offer something back.

This is where I am now stuck though. Where, what, how do I go about doing this? I’ve seen things like music therapy where children and adults with learning difficulties interact with musical instruments and sounds to help with their learning and development. I’ve also seen an organisation that helps refugee children get involved with musical instruments and eventually put on some kind of end of year concert. I am sure however that there are other things, organisations, workshops, groups that offer similar things. The main thing for me is to get involved, even if it’s purely a support role. I’m not looking at full time either, or a career change but purely voluntary, even if it’s just one or two days a month.

So its something I am thinking about that may never come to anything but if anyone can offer any advice, know where to look or who to approach then I am all ears. Someone suggested citizens advice might be able to help so I will be looking at that at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linus27 said:

This is where I am now stuck though. Where, what, how do I go about doing this? I’ve seen things like music therapy where children and adults with learning difficulties interact with musical instruments and sounds to help with their learning and development. I’ve also seen an organisation that helps refugee children get involved with musical instruments and eventually put on some kind of end of year concert. I am sure however that there are other things, organisations, workshops, groups that offer similar things. The main thing for me is to get involved, even if it’s purely a support role. I’m not looking at full time either, or a career change but purely voluntary, even if it’s just one or two days a month.

First off,  big respect for your post and aspirations.

I work with a wide range of adults with severe to mild learning disabilities and/or autistic. We are lucky to have a team of music therapists - in a nutshell, they have psychology degrees because they are using music to support people who have communication and emotional difficulties in a therapeutic and clinical way (there is so much more to it than that, but like I said, in a nutshell).

However, there are many volunteers who come to our organisation to play music either with or to the people we support. I can’t stress enough how VITAL this is to a large amount of people. Again in a nutshell, a staggering number of people in residential care spend large proprotions of their day disengaged and devoid of opportunities. Generally this is due to the social care finanial crisis affecting community outlets and organisation’s support provisions and also because many services can struggle to convert their values into staff behaviour. People that come in to do music engage people, make their day, and often give them something else to look forward to. I’ve also seen this have a great impact on staff, and act as a much needed stress reliever for them too. Less stressed staff equals happier supported people. 

I could go on and on, especially as this touches on my professional remit, however I’ll end by saying that by going in and playing with or for people you’ll be making a significant contribution to their quality of life outcomes. 

A good organisation will have a volunteering person/department, will have a meeting with you, get you DBS checked and will make the most of your kind offer. Just reach out and find the right place. Good luck! 

• Like 4

I do a bit with substance misusers...the concentration required to learn a musical instrument works on a different part of the brain yet still triggers the pleasure receptors so has been proven to have benefits to this client group.

Check with your local Drug & Alcohol service.

• Like 1

I work with kids with a range of disabilities and have two very good friends who are music therapists of many years (one our drummer but we don’t hold it against him). I have worked closely with them for two decades now and seen the potential it has to transform the lives of some of our kids for the better, if I can help give me a shout, and I am sure they would be happy to chat to you about the job- both are very enthusiastic about it not surprisingly.

• Like 1