Why become a member? ×

NBD - Alembic content!

FinnDave

2 hours ago, MB1 said:

MB1.

These are Great Basses in there own right! (Hardly Entry Level)

i do miss my Old one it had plenty of  furtberil 

I used the term 'entry level' as it is the cheapest one in their range, at a mere $7000 (approx £5300). Not cheap, but all the rest cost even more! I'm certainly very impressed with mine, it is a beautiful object to look at, feels beautiful to the touch, and as for the sound!!! Just perfect. 

Edited by FinnDave

20151029_140111.jpg

My old Epic looked like this. Wenge top, unlined fretless five. I have lost most of the good photos I had of it, and the ones I still have were taken with an ancient camera phone (it would be close to ten years since I sold it). However, I can still remember the furterbil. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I used the term 'entry level' as it is the cheapest one in their range, at a mere $7000 (approx £5300). Not cheap, but all the rest cost even more! I'm certainly very impressed with mine, it is a beautiful object to look at, feels beautiful to the touch, and as for the sound!!! Just perfect. 

It was entry level back in the day ( I bought mine in 1997) but since then Alembic has intoduced the Excel and the Orion. The Orion, I believe, is the same as the Epic but with a differnet body shape.

Looking at Alembic's site, the Excel & the Orion share the same pre-amp as the Epic and all three are set necks rather then through necks, and all start at $7000. 

Looks like the through neck range starts at $8500.

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Looking at Alembic's site, the Excel & the Orion share the same pre-amp as the Epic and all three are set necks rather then through necks, and all start at $7000. 

Looks like the through neck range starts at $8500.

I did not know that! I'm sure the Excel was originally cheaper as it was a single pickup.

However - $7000?! The Epic was £900 when it came out!

49 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I did not know that! I'm sure the Excel was originally cheaper as it was a single pickup.

However - $7000?! The Epic was £900 when it came out!

How long ago did it come out? And what was the price of a standard Precision back then?

On 09/07/2018 at 20:28, Chris2112 said:

20151029_140111.jpg

My old Epic looked like this. Wenge top, unlined fretless five. I have lost most of the good photos I had of it, and the ones I still have were taken with an ancient camera phone (it would be close to ten years since I sold it). However, I can still remember the furterbil. 

Looks like the one I had (traded on here several years ago).  Lovely bass, if a bit weighty 😎

Edited by BassBod

1 hour ago, BassBod said:

Looks like the one I had (traded on here several years ago).  Lovely bass, if a bit weighty 😎

It may be. I paid £600 for it, I think. Was the seller called James, I wonder? I think he had a guitar shop he ran with his dad and needed cash to pay for an imminently custom build.

I paid something like £750 for it, eventually traded it for a lightly used Sadowsky...that I should’ve kept 😳.  I think the Bass Centre commissioned quite a few Epics in the mid 90’s, which is why there are a few in circulation at sensible prices in the UK.  Nice basses 😎