Why become a member? ×

Paid to play

William James Easton

so i've had a really bad day at work today so i was hoping to get home crank up my bass and trash out some rocking lines, however headache and a case of the can't be ar$£ds stopped me. Anyhoo got me thinking how cool it would be if i had to stuck to my youthful ideas and become a pro player.
So how many bass chatters play bass for a living? i will accept musician in band, teacher, bass tech, session player maybe even bass/amp maker etc.
And i mean as there full time job, not weekend warriors or function "top up me wages' players.

come on some one amaze me with your cool bass job please.

It's not as easy as you think :)

Being as I have a mortgage, I have to have a regular job so I do a lot of teaching. That's as head of music at a primary school, several "wider opportunities" music classes in other schools as well as instrumental teaching in a couple of very good independent schools around me. I also see a lot of private instrumental students.

As for the playing. It's basically anything that comes through the door. Currently I run my own jazz band for functions, etc., play in a big band & with two other jazz bands, play in shows as a bass player, play in a rock trio (topping the bill at biker rallies, etc.) and I've just joined a very good Blondie Tribute act with a full diary next year. I also play on the classical circuit as a cellist & double bass player which comes in handy.

But remember the playing is never constant. So you've either got to be in serious demand or very good at harvesting your money while you have it. I'm not very good at the latter, so I have the teaching to back me up. Location has a lot to do with it as well. If you're London based, there's a lot of playing work, although competition is fierce. I'm out in the sticks, so I have to deal with mega mileage as well! Take for instance this coming weekend...

Leave school on Friday @ 5pm (near Cleethorpes.) Go to Pontefract for jazz function job. Get home early hours. Be up at a reasonable hour on Saturday becuase private pupils start knocking at the door at 10am. Taking the choir out to a local stately home on Saturday lunchtime as well, in between pupils! Leave for Milton Keynes at about 4.30 for evening rock trio gig. Get home before dawn if I'm lucky! Sunday private pupils begin at 9am, then gig in Gainsborough at lunchtime, more private pupils in the afternoon, then gig in Newark on Sunday evening. This is all before I start teaching again on Monday morning. 9-5 job? YES PLEASE!!!

Ability to sight read is a massive bonus as well. If you're dropping in as a dep or on a session, people want you to play things straight off. Time is money, as it were! So all in all, yes it's fun and for me very varied, but it's hard and having a constant amount of money each month guaranteed is a lot easier.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Here the rub.....

Dont bother,keep dreaming,its sh*tty having no cash,and you have to really really slum it to get anywhere....and leaning on your other half really sucks

In 17 years of playing Ive never met one happy pro EVER,without having a BIG chip upon their shoulder....and when I mean pro I mean real pro,the bod does not teach,hold a class,do seminars,does youtube bullshit,or works in a music shop or as a Luthier/builder..or studio worker...an out and out player..they dont exist. Sessions come/go,it depends on who/what you know,and regular work is as rare as pixiedust.....Might happen in London or New York or LA.......but not in the provinces. You really wanna do it,be prepared to do anything,and be anyman to any situation.

The best in reality IS the weekend warrior,coz thats when the moneys available,you can give your all,and the moneys good.......I dont know many high payers on a tuesday night in Leeds gigwise...get into corporate work with agents and thats different,but thinking your gonna make a stash of cash playing Greenday riffs to a room of suits and you are in la la land,its slick soul,Motown,Funk,Disco,Rock,and Roll,and ol Mustang Sally...OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

Going to a music school,wont give you the keys either,I dont care what anyone says,some pipefed asspiece thats now in Guildford fresh out,isnt gonna get the gig,its the guy thats 'Done it' for 3 years with the car and the ratty P Bass that going to get the gig rather than all the flash riffola. All schools gonna give you is maybe reading and a bit of time time find out that the music industry is full of hard nosed drugged up sh*t and corrupt label slime...and the guy at the pub getting xxx cash in hand is a ton of Hell happier than the average touring bandmember.

It ISNT cool playing Bass,Its a job same as a window cleaner or a Barman,except you work in sh*tty hours and in all weathers like both former and latter.

Singing helps.

[quote name='Josh' post='337693' date='Nov 26 2008, 08:47 PM']Great...so theres no hope Argh?[/quote]
f***all,if anyone says they are they are f***ing lying....

Save your uni cash,get wheels,and a decent Rig,and Bass (Make it a 5 coz Low B's are de-riguer) learn how to look after your gear,buy strings in bulk,learn how to use an iron and buy suit and tie,polish your shoes,read a chord chart,and dont write ANYTHING in red pen.

You will soon learn that if its made of plastic,it breaks.

There Ive saved you 2-3 years of widdley,lessons in versitility and TV performance...WHAT THE f***..WHO THE COCK ACTUALLY DREMPT THAT ONE UP AS A USEFUL TOOL OF MUSICALITY.....and talking to this years corporate Label/media darhling bozo's.

Edited by ARGH

WELL! Personally I do what I enjoy and if people want to buy the music I make for use on TV/DVDs then I certainly won't stop them. By no means enough to make a living, but I think there are lots of HAPPY players out there - perhaps you are hanging with the wrong people ARGH???

ped

[quote name='ARGH' post='337708' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:04 PM']f***all,if anyone says they are they are f***ing lying....

Save your uni cash,get wheels,and a decent Rig,and Bass (Make it a 5 coz Low B's are de-riguer) learn how to look after your gear,buy strings in bulk,learn how to use an iron and buy suit and tie,polish your shoes,read a chord chart,and dont write ANYTHING in red pen.

You will soon learn that if its made of plastic,it breaks.

There Ive saved you 2-3 years of widdley,lessons in versitility and TV performance...WHAT THE f***..WHO THE COCK ACTUALLY DREMPT THAT ONE UP AS A USEFUL TOOL OF MUSICALITY.....and talking to this years corporate Label/media darhling bozo's.[/quote]

I may as well take up Christianity then.

Oh well, a free MTD anyone?

[quote name='ped' post='337715' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:13 PM']Oh and I have NEVER played 'Mustang Sally' - to be honest I don't even know it![/quote]

Don't worry, it's overrated beyond belief, it dosen't really have a memorable groove and sounds like the B-52's wrote it.

[quote name='ped' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:12 PM' post='337712']
WELL! Personally I do what I enjoy and if people want to buy the music I make for use on TV/DVDs then I certainly won't stop them. By no means enough to make a living, but I think there are lots of HAPPY players out there - perhaps you are hanging with the wrong people ARGH???

What the f***s that supposed to mean?

[quote name='ped' post='337728' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:24 PM']'In 17 years of playing Ive never met one happy pro EVER'

..That struck me as rather odd, that's all. I have met several!

ped[/quote]
Names. Was it on a classroom gig? NME's latest flavour?

Edited by ARGH

They certainly are not 'Name' players but people who make a living from playing. Nobody you will recognise. Why, don't you believe me? :)

I am not saying you are wrong - maybe all the ones you have met WERE lying. Hence my remark. Don't tarnish everyone with the same brush though eh?

ped

I run a studio for young people, have 15 private students, do workshops in schools, do the odd studio session (although trying to let it go coz I can't be fussed learning 15 songs over 3 days for another deluded-yet-well-funded arse) and play in 5 bands (DnB, Glam, Folk, Country, Bad-Seeds).

I have no idea how I'm going to afford to insure my car or pay my tax bill next year, but I have two tours of the states planned for the summer (that won't cost me a penny).

It's very stressful, but I do sometimes love what i do.

Dan

I think it depends on several factors..... I could be pro if I wanted to go down that route.... I earn enough money from the function work I do to live well enough.... but as OTPJ says.... having a constant amount of money guaranteed each month is much easier than having that worry over my head. The drummer I play with went Pro a few years back and hasn't looked back. He's now got regular work with a lot of manufacturers (he's Roland's main UK electronic percussion demonstrator) and is managing to make a good living at it.
Also the amount of time for me to be away from my family would be a big black mark against going pro..... but then it's down to each individual.

[quote name='ped' post='337733' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:30 PM']They certainly are not 'Name' players but people who make a living from playing. Nobody you will recognise. Why, don't you believe me? :)

I am not saying you are wrong - maybe all the ones you have met WERE lying. Hence my remark. Don't tarnish everyone with the same brush though eh?

ped[/quote]
Bullshit,you cant substantiate your point so you call me a liar..f*** you...

You ever had to scrape coins to pay the electric? Feed your family on gigcash?,perhaps you are the epitome of professionalism,and technical creativity,AND YOU STILL CANT GET A GIG for toffee,Ive a mate on Facebook thats in that situ right now,and hes been through a world of sh*t,constantly worrying if the roof over his head is gone next week,is the car going to start etc etc,..Being pro dosent mean you are all smiles and joy..like a NAMM presentation or clinic meeting or a solo gig...they fart f*** and grump like you and I,and no-one is golden,from Manring to Pratt,its a job,and they do a world of other stuff,thay aint players alone....Believe me the guys you snigger at at golf do's or weddings are on the top whack. Its literally as good as it gets,unless you get the slamdunk HIT band deal...then its X period of time till the flavour of the month wears off,and its back to the job queue,or teaching,or build a studio or or or....

The OP ,I Think is wondering that is it possible to just play for cash,you can ,but its not going to be great money,and its the latter fantasy that alot of colleges peddle their courses upon..learn this ..make wedge...bollocks.

Pretty much everyone in the Bass mags or Bands has a job...a real 9-5 or otherwise tax and NI paying job,or a spouse that covers bills until the royalities check drops in through the letterbox every 6 months,and then theres the taxman's chunk.

The freaks are the ones with a style that it dosent matter what they dont know or know,they are just that special thang...Karn,Chambers..theres a few Folkies that have the same thing,but they are the real exception than the rule.

If I sold virtually everything I own , had a go at prostitution, became self sufficient food wise with a sideline in Olive Oil when I've moved to rural Portugal and found a property for £50,000 then I just may, make a living out of making basses.
It is really enjoyable and unlike a 9am-5pm job I love every minute of my 9am till midnight profession for virtually bugger all profit....
The big difference is I have got to the age where its all "been there done that" so I have found I spend nothing so need to earn very little....and yes Mrs Prosebass has a job, if she didn't we would live in a shed....

Edited by Prosebass

I've been damn close and I'm sh*t :) I played in a very busy covers/wedding/function band and the money probably bettered working in a call centre at one point. As it happens, I have one of those overpaid IT jobs and when it comes down to it, not being up all night with a bunch of drunks carrying heavy things around has something to say for it. I now play once a month or so for fun.

I'm still sh*t!

Just to clarify a little... Yes, I work VERY hard. Usually 80 hours per week or more, but I am very happy :) We all think the grass is greener on the other side & a nice big salary and good hours would be nice, but the truth is I work as hard as I do in the so-called "music business" because I love it. Given a choice I wouldn't do anything else :huh:

Rich.