Why become a member? ×

For Those Looking For A Gigging Band

Bluewine

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't want to be the guy that's always complaining about stuff and bringing a negative vibe to a band.

Being one who tells it like it is, it took quite a few years and several bands to learn a bit of diplomacy. There's a very fine line between constructive criticism and negativity.

5 hours ago, discreet said:

Being one who tells it like it is, it took quite a few years and several bands to learn a bit of diplomacy. There's a very fine line between constructive criticism and negativity.

The bass player in my band before me never learned that dimplomacy, that's why he was replaced.

Blue

On 08/06/2018 at 16:42, Bluewine said:

To my understanding the difference is our bars are all located in business zones while your Pubs can be located in residential zones. 

We play 4 hours while Pub gigs are 2 hours.

Blue

The main difference would be the number of bands, duo,s and individuals in competition for a small number of venues and not much money. Thats the way it is in my gig area. If you make a living playing bars then the money on offer must be much better.

21 hours ago, mikel said:

The main difference would be the number of bands, duo,s and individuals in competition for a small number of venues and not much money. Thats the way it is in my gig area. If you make a living playing bars then the money on offer must be much better.

It's very tough and competitive here too.

Back to my bullet points. In my neck of the woods a "Willy Nilly, Loosey Goosey" approach to booking won't get you very far even if the band is really good.

Blue

FB_IMG_1527442765992.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It's very tough and competitive here too.

Back to my bullet points. In my neck of the woods a "Willy Nilly, Loosey Goosey" approach to booking won't get you very even if the band is really good.

Blue

FB_IMG_1527442765992.jpg

No thats not the problem. The problem being that pubs dont pay decent money to any act, they cant afford to, so it makes more sense to have a duo playing as the bar will be full anyway.

7 hours ago, mikel said:

No thats not the problem. The problem being that pubs dont pay decent money to any act, they cant afford to, so it makes more sense to have a duo playing as the bar will be full anyway.

Acoustic duos get all the bar work in Nashville.

Blue

On 07/06/2018 at 02:17, Bluewine said:

1. Look at the area you live in and determine if seeking out a gigging band is even realistic.

2. Look at your skill set, understand your strengths, weaknesses and experience. What can you bring to a band.

3. Only audition for bands that meet most of your requirements.

4. Make sure you understand the history and infrastructure of the band.

A. What is their business model for booking. Do they have a member that's good at sales and maintaining business. How much business is from reaching out for new business, existing business and call ins. What's the percentage breakdown.

B. Does the band own their own production with off stage talent

( dedicated sound and lighting)

C. How much personal turnover has the band gone through over the past 12 months.

5. What type of reputation does the band have as well as the individual members?

6. What type of social media presence does the band have? I guess there are still some successful gigging bands with none. But to be honest, I have no idea how a gigging band can get by without it.

7. Last but not least. Make sure your Flake-Ometer is on at all times when checking out an opportunity.

You decide what's important to you.

I think these are all reasonable points to consider, and I'm sure that a gigging band would be asking themselves some of these questions about any potential new member.  While there are no guarantees, asking these questions could potentially save both sides unwanted hassle, frustration and wasted effort.

I've always found that a degree of compromise is needed on all sides as it's not often that everyone in the band is doing it to earn a living, or purely as a hobby.  Not everyone will contribute in the same way but as long as everyone is contributing something and can play the material to a decent enough standard I'm happy.  If I'd joined the band and then discovered that other members can't be bothered to learn the material or are unreliable then I wouldn't hang around for long.   "You decide what's important to you" is key IMHO.  

On 10/06/2018 at 10:05, gazhowe said:

I think these are all reasonable points to consider, and I'm sure that a gigging band would be asking themselves some of these questions about any potential new member.  While there are no guarantees, asking these questions could potentially save both sides unwanted hassle, frustration and wasted effort.

I've always found that a degree of compromise is needed on all sides as it's not often that everyone in the band is doing it to earn a living, or purely as a hobby.  Not everyone will contribute in the same way but as long as everyone is contributing something and can play the material to a decent enough standard I'm happy.  If I'd joined the band and then discovered that other members can't be bothered to learn the material or are unreliable then I wouldn't hang around for long.   "You decide what's important to you" is key IMHO.  

Agreed, it's all about what's important to you.

However, once your gigging and making money, the rule of thumb is never quit until you find a better opportunity. And gigging opportunities are usually not easy to find for most of us.

I'll put up with a lot as long as the money is coming in.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Ive just moved to a new area and had to leave my old band behind ( it wasn’t very active anyway)

I’ve mainly been looking on joinmyband and have had some auditions that have gone ok but the band wasn’t the right fit.

its difficult to find the right band, I’ve depped and been in a few over the years. I’ll audition for any band that I think I’m good enough simply to play but also know I need to probably knock a bit of the rust off my playing first.

are there any other sites worth looking at ( other than this forum) did bands that I don’t need to pay to engage with other bands or musicians?

48 minutes ago, Mark_Bass said:

Ive just moved to a new area and had to leave my old band behind ( it wasn’t very active anyway)

I’ve mainly been looking on joinmyband and have had some auditions that have gone ok but the band wasn’t the right fit.

its difficult to find the right band, I’ve depped and been in a few over the years. I’ll audition for any band that I think I’m good enough simply to play but also know I need to probably knock a bit of the rust off my playing first.

are there any other sites worth looking at ( other than this forum) did bands that I don’t need to pay to engage with other bands or musicians?

While going to open mics in my area won't get you far as a resource for finding a band it might in your area.

Are you looking for a gigging band?

Blue