Why become a member? ×

speaker replacement

beastie

Hi
i have an ashdown abm 1x15 speaker cab rated at 300 watts at 8ohms i want to replace the speaker in the cab with a good quility 1x15 500w+ 4 ohm speaker can any one recomend a speaker and also if the cab can take the increase off power
Regards

The cab will be fine, though you might want to put some acoustic damping inside.

Check these out:
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDEL15LFC&product=Eminence_Delta_15LF_4_ohms&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMI...semode=category[/url]
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKAP15C&product=Eminence_Kappa_15_-_4_ohm&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMI...semode=category[/url]
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA15MI100-4&product=Beyma_15MI100_15!dquote!_Mid-Bass_Woofer_4_ohm&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA...semode=category[/url]

Edited by Protium

[quote name='beastie' post='336860' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:40 AM']Hi
i have an ashdown abm 1x15 speaker cab rated at 300 watts at 8ohms i want to replace the speaker in the cab with a good quility 1x15 500w+ 4 ohm speaker can any one recomend a speaker and also if the cab can take the increase off power
Regards[/quote]
i have a ashdown cab without a head it is 1X15 tho if you make an offer

[quote name='beastie' post='336860' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:40 AM']...i want to replace the speaker in the cab with a good quility 1x15 500w+ 4 ohm speaker[/quote]

The thermal power handling rating is one of the least significant specs and there are very few 15" speakers available in 4 ohm nominal impedance - you're better getting a better 8 ohm model than a compromised 4 ohm one purely to gain a few watts from your amp that you speaker is unlikely to have the excursion to handle.

If you're willing to spend the money you can't really beat the Kappalite 3015 as a standalone 15".

Alex

I put an Eminence kappalite 3015 LF into an Ashdown mag 115 deep cab and it sounds very good, much deeper and louder than the original blueline driver.
The cab is made of chip board and has no bracing or acoustic damping, but it's quite lightweight at under 20 kilos with the new neo driver.
The kappalite has a wider diameter than the ashdown driver and I had to widen the hole slightly with a spokeshave, but the screw holes line up fine and I used slightly longer screws to allow for the extra depth of the kappalite.
The original speaker was quite hard to remove, being glued as well as screwed, but came out with firm persuasion.

[quote name='Protium' post='336870' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:49 AM']The cab will be fine, though you might want to put some acoustic damping inside.

I might add acoustic damping and wonder where to apply it and what extra benefits I should expect ?[/quote]

[quote name='redstriper' post='337160' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:36 PM']I might add acoustic damping and wonder where to apply it and what extra benefits I should expect ?[/quote]

Everywhere on the inside walls of the cab, but avoid it touching the speaker chassis and don't obstruct any ports.
It should help prevent standing waves inside the box.

[quote name='Protium' post='337355' date='Nov 26 2008, 03:16 PM']Everywhere on the inside walls of the cab, but avoid it touching the speaker chassis and don't obstruct any ports.
It should help prevent standing waves inside the box.[/quote]

Thanks - I'll give it a go.
How should I attach the wadding - glue or staples ?
What difference can I expect to hear soundwise without the standing waves ?

[quote name='harlowbassplayer' post='336904' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:43 AM']i have a ashdown cab without a head it is 1X15 tho if you make an offer[/quote]
Thanks for the offer but i already have the cab just want to change the speaker in it

[quote name='redstriper' post='337433' date='Nov 26 2008, 04:50 PM']Thanks - I'll give it a go.
How should I attach the wadding - glue or staples ?
What difference can I expect to hear soundwise without the standing waves ?[/quote]

Either glue or staples will work fine. Internal damping doesn't do a huge amount for standing waves, it mostly deals with damping down midrange and treble that would otherwise be reflected and interfere with the direct cone output. Not sure how much difference it'll make to you because your EQ is so extremely anti mids and highs but am curious to find out!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='337113' date='Nov 26 2008, 11:40 AM']The thermal power handling rating is one of the least significant specs and there are very few 15" speakers available in 4 ohm nominal impedance - you're better getting a better 8 ohm model than a compromised 4 ohm one purely to gain a few watts from your amp that you speaker is unlikely to have the excursion to handle.

If you're willing to spend the money you can't really beat the Kappalite 3015 as a standalone 15".

Alex[/quote]
thanks alex the proplem i am trying to overcome is the differance in ohms in the two cabs as the other cab is the asdown abm 410t 650w and is rated at 4 ohms it is used with the asdown evo11 575+575
to get the maximum power from the amp as you will know i need to run both cabs at the same ohms or do you think that it wont make that much differance the amp will only be used at max half power its quality not quanterty i need

[quote name='beastie' post='337493' date='Nov 26 2008, 05:23 PM']thanks alex the proplem i am trying to overcome is the differance in ohms in the two cabs as the other cab is the asdown abm 410t 650w and is rated at 4 ohms it is used with the asdown evo11 575+575
to get the maximum power from the amp as you will know i need to run both cabs at the same ohms or do you think that it wont make that much differance the amp will only be used at max half power its quality not quanterty i need[/quote]

thanks for your recomendations i have also sent an email to ashdown to see what they have to say
gary

[quote name='beastie' post='336860' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:40 AM']Hi
Regards[/quote]
hi,is the speaker youre replacing any good or is it knackerd? im looking for a 300w 15".

[quote name='Protium' post='337514' date='Nov 26 2008, 05:51 PM']OK you might be running at full power but if the speaker can't handle the excursion it's wasted anyway.

I'd try looking for a more efficient driver (at least 100dB) with a higher Xmax regardless whether its 4ohm or 8ohm.[/quote]
thanks for the reply any recomendations