Why become a member? ×

Its been a while....

ARGH

First 'Originals' gig in...say....god...hang on....I dont have enough strings or fingers...gimme a sec....

sh*t...12 years.....And I didnt even write the Lines,I just joined,and then we aint gigging till...say..March time.

SO Im still playing unpaid covers...ha.

Im nervous too (a damn good sign) the headline acts playing their 1st gig with original lineup in their hometown for the 1st time in 20 years.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='335458' date='Nov 24 2008, 01:41 PM']Who you playing with then and who are the headliners?

(If you don't wanna say then let me know if the headline band is local or not and I should be able to work it out)[/quote]
You know if I told you ,I know it would just filter out to ALL the ROTN...and thats a rumormill if there ever was one....

The irony is Ive just got into this group,and only now ..like 3 months later do the calls and texts of.."Saw your ad.." come through,its a weird world,cant get a gig and all the rest of the functions guys get one in a breeze,and me all on my Jack Jones...

Whats local? Mansfield? if yes then thats local....

Was gonna ask,what the general etiquitte on gear at these gigs,coz half hour sets and a wagon of gear...? It dont seem worth it,but I hate borrowing peoples sh*t,case I blow it up or its utter crap (GK/some old Trace/underpowered 70s fart rigs..y'know we've all been there!!) I wanna take my stack,but I dont want to bogart the stage space,and wanna give venue staff a night in the easy street.

Its weird playing for so short a space in time onstage as well.....

[quote name='mcgraham' post='335495' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:14 PM']ARGH, out of interest, are you near Mansfield/Nottingham area?

Mark[/quote]
Nah..way up further..Castleford...West Yorks...A1..see Ferrybridge Powerstation,turn left on M62,stay left,get to Ponte/Cas Junction and go under and right.

Why'd you ask? No-one asks me anything anymore,I just spout my wisdom at all and sundry.....

[quote name='ARGH' post='335498' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:17 PM']No-one asks me anything anymore,I just spout my wisdom at all and sundry.....[/quote]

That's because your the Anti-Christ remember?

I have a question though, is it metal?

Edited by Josh

[quote name='ARGH' post='335494' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:10 PM']Was gonna ask,what the general etiquitte on gear at these gigs,coz half hour sets and a wagon of gear...? It dont seem worth it,but I hate borrowing peoples sh*t,case I blow it up or its utter crap (GK/some old Trace/underpowered 70s fart rigs..y'know we've all been there!!) I wanna take my stack,but I dont want to bogart the stage space,and wanna give venue staff a night in the easy street.

Its weird playing for so short a space in time onstage as well.....[/quote]

Hey mate, less of the slagging off GK and Trace stuff-will be still sounding good years after all the Mark Bass/digital stuff etc has been binned!

Often a good idea if you have to use someone elses gear to have a graphic or bass driver pedal with you, then you can just plug in and not worry about messing around with their settings too much-works for me!

[quote name='casapete' post='335512' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:28 PM']Hey mate, less of the slagging off GK and Trace stuff-will be still sounding good years after all the Mark Bass/digital stuff etc has been binned!

Often a good idea if you have to use someone elses gear to have a graphic or bass driver pedal with you, then you can just plug in and not worry about messing around with their settings too much-works for me![/quote]
I wouldnt pollute my ears with a digi amp,its plastic breakdown crap,and the above are just tinny and undergurth for me,I hate Clean-o-Tone slapola 80s stuff,no meat in the sandwich..was great for the time,but that times passed.

..I keep a sansamp around for the purpose as you say,your sound,just using anothers gear as volume.

[quote name='Josh' post='335523' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:37 PM']Tasty :).[/quote]
The only beef Ive got is its in drop C,Im not a massive fan on drop tuning ,coz It reminds me of grunge,and that lazy crap in 92 that was called music back then,but thats my problem,I'll get over it...

But C isnt really that cool for a 110 set,C sharp yes,but in C the E string is a bit 'wet noodle',I could just stop moaning and buy a light 5 string set and tune up,but Im a tightwad and I cant be bothered setting up and getting the neck settled for friday night.

[quote]Nah..way up further..Castleford...West Yorks...A1..see Ferrybridge Powerstation,turn left on M62,stay left,get to Ponte/Cas Junction and go under and right.

Why'd you ask?[/quote]
Shame! You're one of the few people I know with an ERB, and it'd would've been cool to be able to check one out (provided you were ok with this). I've just been thinking about Dood's 7 that I got to try at a bash a while back and remembering how comfortable it felt. The idea of having that much sonic freedom (in terms of range) seems more and more appealing to me...

[quote]No-one asks me anything anymore,I just spout my wisdom at all and sundry.....[/quote]
Well... I'll agree with the sundry part :)

Mark

[quote name='ARGH' post='335538' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:48 PM']The only beef Ive got is its in drop C,Im not a massive fan on drop tuning ,coz It reminds me of grunge,and that lazy crap in 92 that was called music back then,but thats my problem,I'll get over it...

But C isnt really that cool for a 110 set,C sharp yes,but in C the E string is a bit 'wet noodle',I could just stop moaning and buy a light 5 string set and tune up,but Im a tightwad and I cant be bothered setting up and getting the neck settled for friday night.[/quote]

Theres nothing wrong with detuning, all of my basses are a full step down, I really don't see myself playing in standard for a very long time and that'll only be when a guitarist gets too emotional over not being able to think for himself, it's a comfort thing as well as tone, I like having my F in the G position for example and I like to fret my low E in stead of an open string, and the tension is just perfect for my right hand as well, and tonewise my basses just sound sonically bigger and warmer than when in standard. I unerstand what you mean 100% about the stereotype of downtuning, it gives it a bad rep but most of the early 90's Hip-Hop/Funk was either recorded a full step down or a half step down, even funk stuff from the 70's and 80's was as well. And those recordings just sound so warm and beefy to my ears.

Hold on a sec, has your 7 got a low B or a low F#? If so why not just sit down with the lines and work out when to put in the low c's when need be?

Edited by Josh

[quote name='mcgraham' post='335545' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:00 PM']Shame! You're one of the few people I know with an ERB, and it'd would've been cool to be able to check one out (provided you were ok with this). I've just been thinking about Dood's 7 that I got to try at a bash a while back and remembering how comfortable it felt. The idea of having that much sonic freedom (in terms of range) seems more and more appealing to me...

Well... I'll agree with the sundry part :)

Mark[/quote]
Dude if you wanna go,barge up,you are very very welcome.

[quote name='Josh' post='335552' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:07 PM']Theres nothing wrong with detuning, all of my basses are a full step down, I really don't see myself playing in standard for a very long time and that'll only be when a guitarist gets too emotional over not being able to think for himself, it's a comfort thing as well as tone, I like having my F in the G position for example and I like to fret my low E in stead of an open string, and the tension is just perfect for my right hand as well, and tonewise my basses just sound sonically bigger and warmer than when in standard. I unerstand what you mean 100% about the stereotype of downtuning, it gives it a bad rep but most of the early 90's Hip-Hop/Funk was either recorded a full step down or a half step down, even funk stuff from the 70's and 80's was as well. And those recordings just sound so warm and beefy to my ears.

Hold on a sec, has your 7 got a low B or a low F#? If so why not just sit down with the lines and work out when to put in the low c's when need be?[/quote]drop tuning is my issue,not down tuning.

[quote name='Josh' post='335552' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:07 PM']Theres nothing wrong with detuning, all of my basses are a full step down, I really don't see myself playing in standard for a very long time and that'll only be when a guitarist gets too emotional over not being able to think for himself, it's a comfort thing as well as tone, I like having my F in the G position for example and I like to fret my low E in stead of an open string, and the tension is just perfect for my right hand as well, and tonewise my basses just sound sonically bigger and warmer than when in standard. I unerstand what you mean 100% about the stereotype of downtuning, it gives it a bad rep but most of the early 90's Hip-Hop/Funk was either recorded a full step down or a half step down, even funk stuff from the 70's and 80's was as well. And those recordings just sound so warm and beefy to my ears.[/quote]

What gauge strings do you use to get a decent tension?

Thanks for the invite ARGH, I hope to do that sometime soon, but time is looking pretty tight until the end of the year. I'll try to take you up on it at some point!

I can't spoke for ARGH, but I would say it's arguable that 'drop' tuning includes 'drop-D'ing your basses, i.e. just dropping the tuning of one string, changing the interval between one string and another. Changes the range relative to standard tuning, but also the intervals between the strings.

Whilst 'down'-tuning to me brings up connotations of tuning down all your strings evenly, i.e. keeping same string to string intervals, but the range of the whole instrument is shifted down relative to standard tuning.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' post='335565' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:21 PM']I can't spoke for ARGH, but I would say it's arguable that 'drop' tuning includes 'drop-D'ing your basses, i.e. just dropping the tuning of one string, changing the interval between one string and another. Changes the range relative to standard tuning, but also the intervals between the strings.

Whilst 'down'-tuning to me brings up connotations of tuning down all your strings evenly, i.e. keeping same string to string intervals, but the range of the whole instrument is shifted down relative to standard tuning.

Mark[/quote]

Hmm fair enough, Argh why don't you try just going down a full step and see how you fair with it?

[quote name='Josh' post='335558' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:15 PM']Same thing isn't it surely?[/quote]
Drop tuning,on a 4 is one string.....E to D..it just throws the shapes Im safe with on the fretboard all to cock.

Downtuning the lot...all the 4ths ,just down. its longball for geetar heavy,but it leaves the Bass and the drums fighting for sonic space.

[quote name='Josh' post='335568' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:24 PM']Hmm fair enough, Argh why don't you try just going down a full step and see how you fair with it?[/quote]
The band play in Drop C,the guitarist is a Big Keenan/Wylde fan,and its what the vox are easy with so....,Im the newbie.....,its one gig and Im like a greyhound at the traps...so I aint even thinking of radical suggestions yet (but I do moot about Drop A....coz then I can use my 6ers) and I dont wanna change anything yet nor rock the boat,no gigs til march,and I wanna start working with the drummer.

[quote name='ARGH' post='335573' date='Nov 24 2008, 03:32 PM']The band play in Drop C,the guitarist is a Big Keenan/Wylde fan,and its what the vox are easy with so....,Im the newbie.....,its one gig and Im like a greyhound at the traps...so I aint even thinking of radical suggestions yet (but I do moot about Drop A....coz then I can use my 6ers) and I dont wanna change anything yet nor rock the boat,no gigs til march,and I wanna start working with the drummer.[/quote]

6's a full step down are so easy to get around on though I do love seeing someone get nervous when they try my 635 out, mostly because they have't played a 6 string before and the tuning screws them up :).

Surely you'd be more comfortable with the 6 Argh?

[quote name='ARGH' post='335482' date='Nov 24 2008, 02:00 PM']You know if I told you ,I know it would just filter out to ALL the ROTN...and thats a rumormill if there ever was one....

The irony is Ive just got into this group,and only now ..like 3 months later do the calls and texts of.."Saw your ad.." come through,its a weird world,cant get a gig and all the rest of the functions guys get one in a breeze,and me all on my Jack Jones...

Whats local? Mansfield? if yes then thats local....[/quote]

no worries - you're right if I told 1 other person it would spread fast. A lot of people in bands seem to be 'keeping their options open' generally and seem to get sorted with indecent haste when band's fold. To be fair Banger's only filling in a band due to illness isn't he so they're not all sorted with permanent bands? By local I mean West Yorks really, Have fun!
I take it the Helvis gig didn't interest you?