Why become a member? ×

So whats the story about Wal basses?

saibuster

[quote name='philw' post='339044' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:07 PM']I wasn't in a punk band so I didn't have to hold my head in shame, more a kind of Japan with a girl singer type band. I was, or rather was attempting to be, the Mick Karn clone.

Phil[/quote]

Ooooh that reminds me...
I once went for an 'audition' in Stratford, London. I had mentioned on the phone that I played a Wal and after that the singer (who was obviously the band leader) had [i]immediatley[/i] agreed to see me. Upon arriving there he stood - an absolute David Sylvian clone right down to his eye shadow and floppy, dyed, blonde hair -ushering me into the flat in a frosty manner. I mean he literally looked like this:

There were Japanese prints on the wall and miso soup bowls on the table. He played a tape of his band. It was a carbon copy of Japan minus the [i]much needed Mick Karn Wal sound[/i]... which I wasn't going to give 'em under any circumstances!

They didn't recruit you, did they? :)

Edited by Spoombung

Jeff Berlin vs. Percy Jones?

Couldn't listen to either of them now for more than 15 minutes (in total, not each, for the sake of clarity)! Its great bass playing and a great spectacle but emotionally flat music (back to that thing about great bass lines not making music better). Jones had a really original concept going but the music he plays just doesn't do anything for me. At all.

And as for Jeff - I wanna like your stuff, mate, but where's the soul?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='339362' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:43 AM']Jeff Berlin vs. Percy Jones?

Couldn't listen to either of them now for more than 15 minutes (in total, not each, for the sake of clarity)! Its great bass playing and a great spectacle but emotionally flat music (back to that thing about great bass lines not making music better). Jones had a really original concept going but the music he plays just doesn't do anything for me. At all.

And as for Jeff - I wanna like your stuff, mate, but where's the soul?[/quote]

Ah, well, I also said I [url="http://spoombung.livejournal.com/45870.html"]have difficulties with Jazz Rock[/url]!

I notice you're from Felixstowe (I'm from Ipswich) and you're probably around the same age as me - so you might remember the band '[i]Fusion[/i]' featuring the young Nick Kershaw - which I've alluded to in the above link...?

[quote name='Spoombung' post='339411' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:17 AM']Ah, well, I also said I [url="http://spoombung.livejournal.com/45870.html"]have difficulties with Jazz Rock[/url]!

I notice you're from Felixstowe (I'm from Ipswich) and you're probably around the same age as me - so you might remember the band '[i]Fusion[/i]' featuring the young Nick Kershaw - which I've alluded to in the above link...?[/quote]

Heard of them but I have only been here about 5 years so they were well before my time. When did you leave Ipwich?

[quote name='Jase' post='338279' date='Nov 27 2008, 12:07 PM']They're both worlds apart really, both great players, I'd sooner buy a Percy Jones album than a Jeff Berlin album though. At the same time I'd love to see both of them live [b](not together)[/b][/quote]

Exactly. Dueling jazz bassists make me go 'ugh, stop it'.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='339415' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:19 AM']Heard of them but I have only been here about 5 years so they were well before my time. When did you leave Ipwich?[/quote]

About '79 or so. It was a horrible town to grow up in. I associate it with Harris' Pork pie slaughter house and people asking me[i]"are you a virgin, boy?"[/i]. And kids practising their Kung Fu on you. Let's hope it's changed. In fact I'm paying a dutiful visit to the parents this weekend.... :)

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='339418' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:21 AM']Exactly. Dueling jazz bassists make me go 'ugh, stop it'.[/quote]

I'm ok with jazzers doing their thing together, in fact I'm ok with solo stuff, love it....I just didn't think either player would want to be on the same stage :huh: although I reckon Jeff is always up for a duel! :)

[quote name='saibuster' post='340519' date='Nov 29 2008, 03:27 PM']Thanks for a great discussion!
I really like the tone of Spoombung bass ( and brilliant music too!! ) and i can start to see why people get obsessed about these basses.
Do they used to have original pickups and electronics? if yes, was it, or is it possible to buy it separately ?[/quote]
If you mean the original Wal pick ups & electronics, then the answer's no; they've never been available seperately as I understand it.

Only once have I ever seen the Wal electronics on another bass and that was made by a luthier called Jeff Finch, so he must have known the guys at Wal to get that to happen.

Both the pickups and the pre-amp were completely unique at the time the Wals were first being built.

The pickup is a humbucking design with a separate coil for every polepiece and the pre-amp uses filters rather than traditional tone controls.

I don't know of anyone who is building pickups remotely like the Wal ones, and the closest you're going to get to the Wal pre-amp as the [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]ACG one[/url].

I'm waiting to see what is going to happen when the new Wals start appearing.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='340807' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:48 PM']If you mean the original Wal pick ups & electronics, then the answer's no; they've never been available seperately as I understand it.

Only once have I ever seen the Wal electronics on another bass and that was made by a luthier called Jeff Finch, so he must have known the guys at Wal to get that to happen.[/quote]

I owned a fretless 5-string Sei with the full Wal electronics setup for a while... however, I believe these were actually cannibalised from a Wal, rather than provided separately. That was a lovely bass - it's living in Japan now.

[quote name='Russ' post='340884' date='Nov 30 2008, 12:53 AM']I owned a fretless 5-string Sei with the full Wal electronics setup for a while... however, I believe these were actually cannibalised from a Wal, rather than provided separately. That was a lovely bass - it's living in Japan now.[/quote]
I think I saw that bass on one of the Forums a while back Russ; lovely combination of the best of innovative UK bass design!