Why become a member? ×

Aftershock Channel Switching Options

cLepto-bass

I shall be taking delivery of a Source Audio Aftershock over the next few days so am seeking advice on the switching capabilities.

I understand that it is possible to customise 2 different overdrive tones using the left and right channels which can then each be sent to a dedicated output. So, I am looking for possible switching options which come after the Aftershock in the effects chain which dictates which of the outputs is sent to the amp.  I am hoping to stay away from the MIDI approach, instead want a hands free approach to go through levels of gain.

Specifically, I am hoping to have 3 levels of tone: Clean (everything bypassed) -> low dirt (Aftershock Output 1) -> high dirt (Aftershock Output 2) with a remote switcher controlling the output channel

Firstly, is this application possible and secondly, which switching devices may be considered (as inexpensive as possible ideally).

As always, all input is greatly appreciated.

37 minutes ago, uzzell said:

I shall be taking delivery of a Source Audio Aftershock over the next few days so am seeking advice on the switching capabilities.

I understand that it is possible to customise 2 different overdrive tones using the left and right channels which can then each be sent to a dedicated output. So, I am looking for possible switching options which come after the Aftershock in the effects chain which dictates which of the outputs is sent to the amp.  I am hoping to stay away from the MIDI approach, instead want a hands free approach to go through levels of gain.

Specifically, I am hoping to have 3 levels of tone: Clean (everything bypassed) -> low dirt (Aftershock Output 1) -> high dirt (Aftershock Output 2) with a remote switcher controlling the output channel

Firstly, is this application possible and secondly, which switching devices may be considered (as inexpensive as possible ideally).

As always, all input is greatly appreciated.

Boss LS-2 will do this. Or Source Audio’s momentary toggle switch. I used the former. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

I believe @Al Krow is. 

I think Al might have been talking to me about it, i got one off here last week

I dont think ill use it much, but from what i have seen its really cool. In the AS each preset has two separate tone engines. You can program them to stack, use just one, one for each output socket etc. If you use the Tap Tempo you can program the preset to allow the TT to switch between each tone engine, but still only use the mono out. Effectively two pedals in one. you can have one on all the time, and stack the second tone, either while you hold the switch down, or latching, or switch between the two. Ive not yet found a way to actually switch between each of the 6 different preset slots (3 on the toggle switch, 3 preset in red mode). I dont think you you can, but if you could, that's a lot of options to try and remember.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive not yet found a way to actually switch between each of the 6 different preset slots (3 on the toggle switch, 3 preset in red mode). I dont think you you can, but if you could, that's a lot of options to try and remember.

No, I believe you can only use it to switch between the left and right channel within one of the six toggle/mode combinations (or to turn stacking on and off as you suggested).

The overwhelming nature of the options is what led me to sell mine. I’d be happier with the OFD I think or with a single (gated) distortion pedal. 

2 hours ago, uzzell said:

Just to be clear. when you program a tone you can set which output it uses. Even when using both tone engines in one preset, you can still get them to only use the one physical output. No need for any external switches. its a very cool device. Although ive not had mine long, i was all geared up for using as many of the pre set slots as i could, but it ended up getting quite complicated. Now i actually just use the stock tones, although i have changed the tone engine on the Vintage position to something less middy.

I thought the tap tempo method switched the pedal between two banks? So you could use it to flip between 2 presets on each switch position. I think you can do the same by just holding the button down, but that is not exactly gig friendly! Time to consult the manual perhaps! Anyhow Source Audio are particularly active and helpful on Talkbass and probably via other mediums also.

The A/B switch method is limited in that you can only have one distortion engine running rather than two in parallel. Being able to blend a thick muff fuzz with the cutting ability of the Darkglassish distortion is where the pedal really shines IMHO.

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

The A/B switch method is limited in that you can only have one distortion engine running rather than two in parallel. Being able to blend a thick muff fuzz with the cutting ability of the Darkglassish distortion is where the pedal really shines IMHO.

Do you mean series (stacked) or parallel?

If in parallel then both one drive or the other or both in parallel are possible options (especially if using an LS-2) as you can switch between A and B or have A+B Mix.

If you mean stacked in series then you could have one of the six toggle/mode combination slots assigned to stack 2 drives and then program another slot to have those same two drives separated (either on separate jack outputs or via the same output but switchable).

There’s not much this thing can’t do. 

I mean with the tap tempo you could switch between:

Preset A: Tubey drive and a RAT in parallel

Preset B: Muff fuzz and Darkglass distortion in parallel

You can't do the above using an A/B switch to flick between the two stereo outs.

Edited by dannybuoy

22 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I mean with the tap tempo you could switch between:

Preset A: Tubey drive and a RAT in parallel

Preset B: Muff fuzz and Darkglass distortion in parallel

You can't do the above using an A/B switch to flick between the two stereo outs.

True. Though you could set the above up on the same toggle switch position with your preset A on the green light and your preset B on the red light so that holding down the pedal’s footswitch would switch between them. And if you’d set them up in parallel (on separate output jacks) you could use the LS-2 to flick between them. Furthermore, if you set up the LS-2 in A+B mix mode and feed one output of the Aftershock to the instrument input of the LS-2 and feed the other output of the Aftershock into either A or B return of the LS-2, then you can toggle between both drives running in parallel or just one drive. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I just got an Aftershock and after reading this... my head hurts. :D

But I'll be back when I'm not tired... maybe on Saturday morning with a coffee and at a time I can make noise ;)

That’s part of the reason I moved it on - I get overwhelmed by the abundance of possibilities sometimes to the point that it stops me from being creative.