Why become a member? ×

NBYD & NSPT

FinnDave

As the title so clearly states, I bought a new bass yesterday and new scratch plate for it today.

Standard MiM Jazz yesterday, and today's post brought me new scratch plate from MD music. I was removing the old one before the post's footsteps had died away!

Hope to hanging on to this one for a while - I have a history of buying Jazz basses then selling them in within a few months. Hopefully, this will be as good a workhorse as my classic 60s Jazz, also MiM, which I bought five years ago and still have.

Obligatory pics (bass & plate not really as red as the sun made them look.)

IMG_1187.thumb.jpg.6f54c07b7f95fdc0d63542efa1ec6d5d.jpg

IMG_1197.thumb.jpg.3db4170c9e7d9b91dafa82704877d0e5.jpg

Shall we start a sweepstake on how long before this is up for sale? :D

I thoroughly approve of the colour combination, as my profile picture will confirm.  Mine is a 2007 MIM - I stuck the Fender '62 custom shop pickups in as I felt the originals were a bit lacking in clarity, but I think the MIM pickups have changed since then so hopefully you'll be happy with them stock.

2 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Shall we start a sweepstake on how long before this is up for sale? :D

I thoroughly approve of the colour combination, as my profile picture will confirm.  Mine is a 2007 MIM - I stuck the Fender '62 custom shop pickups in as I felt the originals were a bit lacking in clarity, but I think the MIM pickups have changed since then so hopefully you'll be happy with them stock.

I really hope this one is a keeper. My last Jazz was a lovely black/maple one I bought new, swapped for a Precision about six months later, then bought is back a couple of months after that, then swapped it for yet another Precision just before Christmas. Mind you, I bought that Jazz while still on crutches after a fairly nasty motorcycle accident, so it had some negative associations for me.

I'll reserve judgement on the pickups until I've had a chance to try it a proper volume with a band. I've got two gigs this weekend, but both are with blues bands, and the Precision sounds better with both.

I do like your user name - typical of me, that having decided to cut down from 9 basses to 4, one of the first things I do is buy another one! I have managed to sell two so far this year....

I have my GAS under control at the moment.  Well, almost.  I have just the two Precisions and one Jazz, a couple of class D heads, a 1x15 and two 12s.  The username comes more from my former 6 string exploits, and everything that comes with that.  Now, however, I've seen the light!

But, I do fancy an Ashdown ABM 600.

And I'm quite keen on a Barefaced Two 10.

That Thunderbird you have for sale at the moment is quite nice too.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there's a Sterling Ray 34 somewhere with my name on it, or maybe even a second hand Stingray if one comes up at the right price...

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

I had an ABM 600 last year, then tried a Rootmaster 800 and the ABM was sold in days! Nothing wrong with it, but too heavy for me with a damaged right hand, when I can carry two RMs in bags over one shoulder! Bloody loud amps, too, I use mine through either a Barefaced 212 or 112 depending on the gig.

Someone is in for a real treat with that T bird. My local guitar tech reckons it's the best T bird he's seen, especially with the Babicz bridge & Gotoh tuners. It was definitely better than my Gibson T bird. It just doesn't really my playing style anymore. I feel bad keeping gear I no longer use, though, so it will have to go. Besides, I've already spent the money on the new Jazz!

Looks great Dave, I`m still umming & aahhing over a Jazz. I`m unlikely to ever play one in my band so am pretty sure that a MIM will be more than enough for my needs. Just trying to convince myself that having a bass for home-use only isn`t a waste of money.

@Gottastopbuyinggear - the Ashdown ABM600 is a great amp. It`s what I use, though I do have to agree with @FinnDave, the Rootmaster amps are great. The ABM has more depth to it at big-stage volumes, the size where you`d use an SVT stack, but if I were in a pub covers band I`d use the Rootmasters, great amps, def the weightiest sounding Class D amp that I`ve had - and mine was the 500 version.

42 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Looks great Dave, I`m still umming & aahhing over a Jazz. I`m unlikely to ever play one in my band so am pretty sure that a MIM will be more than enough for my needs. Just trying to convince myself that having a bass for home-use only isn`t a waste of money.

@Gottastopbuyinggear - the Ashdown ABM600 is a great amp. It`s what I use, though I do have to agree with @FinnDave, the Rootmaster amps are great. The ABM has more depth to it at big-stage volumes, the size where you`d use an SVT stack, but if I were in a pub covers band I`d use the Rootmasters, great amps, def the weightiest sounding Class D amp that I`ve had - and mine was the 500 version.

Cheers, Lozz, I reckon I've played about 50 gigs with the Roostmaster and not one of them has left me wishing I still had the ABM. May happen yet, of course, in which case.....

I'm still playing in a couple of blues/rock bands where the Precision really rules the roost, but recently joined a Grateful Dead tribute act and they want less bottom and a more upper middle sound, mainly to cut though two guitars, keys, and TWO drummers. I took the old classic 60s Jazz just to try it on Sunday and ended up playing it with them all day, which is why I bought a second Jazz yesterday!

46 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

xD And I should have known that, as well!

I'm very happy with all my basses at the moment, but I've been having some reverse GAS, you might say. While I'm selling off some bits, the idea of replacing the entire middle of the field in my collection with a pair of Standard Jazz Basses, one with flats, one with rounds, is rather appealing. It's just for space and simplicity- I've always found the Jazz, for want of a better word... boring... but there is no denying the logic of them as a simple, flexible all-rounder.

And of course, the flats would have to go on sunburst with tort!

You know it makes sense! At the moment, I have a pair of Precisions with flats and a pair of Jazzes with rounds, and am hoping I can be satisfied with just those four. Time will tell!

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I have a history of buying Jazz basses then selling them in within a few months.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I`m still umming & aahhing over a Jazz.

Ah yes, the Basschat Jazz conundrum... know it well..!
Actually 'Conundrum' is a great name for a jazz-fusion combo. And so is 'Prolapse'. Ahem. Well, I must get on...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

It would actually be complete overkill - I'm using an Ampeg PF500 at the moment and it's more than ample - rarely above midday on the master volume.  The problem is I keep hearing people talking about more traditional type amps (i.e. not Class D) and using words like "authority" and "heft" (I'm sure you're one of the culprits, Lozz!) and I think, hmmm... I want to find out for myself what that's all about.

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

While I'm selling off some bits, the idea of replacing the entire middle of the field in my collection with a pair of Standard Jazz Basses, one with flats, one with rounds, is rather appealing. It's just for space and simplicity- I've always found the Jazz, for want of a better word... boring... but there is no denying the logic of them as a simple, flexible all-rounder.

And of course, the flats would have to go on sunburst with tort!

The reason I have two Precisions is that having switched to flats on my first Precision I decided I needed another one to have rounds on.  Trouble is, after getting the second I realised I'd gone off the sound of rounds on a P so I now have flats on both!  However, I've been swapping between flats and rounds on the Jazz a lot recently and I really like both - you know where this is going, don't you!

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I'm still playing in a couple of blues/rock bands where the Precision really rules the roost, but recently joined a Grateful Dead tribute act and they want less bottom and a more upper middle sound, mainly to cut though two guitars, keys, and TWO drummers. I took the old classic 60s Jazz just to try it on Sunday and ended up playing it with them all day, which is why I bought a second Jazz yesterday!

Oddly enough I always feel that the Jazz has more real bass, and I guess a more even spread overall.   But the P has that ooomph in the upper bass and lower mids which you really feel.

7 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

It would actually be complete overkill - I'm using an Ampeg PF500 at the moment and it's more than ample - rarely above midday on the master volume.  The problem is I keep hearing people talking about more traditional type amps (i.e. not Class D) and using words like "authority" and "heft" (I'm sure you're one of the culprits, Lozz!) and I think, hmmm... I want to find out for myself what that's all about.

The reason I have two Precisions is that having switched to flats on my first Precision I decided I needed another one to have rounds on.  Trouble is, after getting the second I realised I'd gone off the sound of rounds on a P so I now have flats on both!  However, I've been swapping between flats and rounds on the Jazz a lot recently and I really like both - you know where this is going, don't you!

Oddly enough I always feel that the Jazz has more real bass, and I guess a more even spread overall.   But the P has that ooomph in the upper bass and lower mids which you really feel.

8 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

I reckon the Rootmaster 800 has more than enough 'heft', 'authority' or whatever. I'd love to be playing through valve amps and 8x10s, but in the real world I have to transport my own gear, and so that isn't going to happen!

I tried flats on my Jazz and quickly took them off, but love them on my Precisions! I'm sure a lot of it is our preconceived ideas of what they 'should' sound like, though I must admit that I prefer a wider neck for flats than I do for rounds. I certainly can't get that P bass 'thump' out of a jazz, anymore than I can get those singing Jazz bass mids out of a Precision, it's just that in recent years I haven't played in bands that needed what  Jazz can do, and certainly did need the Precision thump. 

Ultimately, we don't have to pick a side, or decide which end of the playground to stand anymore, and admit that both have their place, depending on what sort of band we're playing with/