Why become a member? ×

Mani/Roses live bass tone

Pow_22

As some on here know ive been jonesing after the live tone Mani gets on the earlier Stone Roses reunion shows.  I have a Jack Casady bass that is currently strung with flats going into an Ampeg V4B into an Ampeg 1x15 cab.

The sound he gets im pretty sure is using flats as per this vid:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpwc-F-bbZAhVHF8AKHab1ArMQyCkIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjRswxxT3HQ8&usg=AOvVaw3LLrQMYGpNZZjWUCEOUJlB

On the bass Centre website it says he uses their Groundwounds from 2016. His tone at the Etihad is very similar to the above but I know they are quite flat sounding strings for non-flatwounds so I defo think the heaton park clip above is done with full on flatwounds.

I know he goes through a hybrid Mesa Big Block 750 into 4x12's but his sound is very 'all valve' to me.  Slight crunch and a little sag almost - is this typical of a Big Block 750? 

Are there other hybrid type amps that will get this i.e Genz Streamliner, Bugera Veyron, Ampeg SVT 7pro, Handbox R-400, Orange Bass Terror etc etc? 

Any help much appreciated before I blow a load of money on the mesa 2x12 on here then seek a Big Block :)

Edited by Pow_22

Two important things to remember.

1. Probably the most important factor in getting Mani's bass tone is being Mani.

2. The reason why his tone is so good is not the tone in itself (if you heard it on its own in one of those isolated bass tracks you'd most likely wonder what all the fuss was about), but the way it fits into the overall soundscape of the other instruments. So unless you are playing in a Stone Roses tribute band where the other band members had completely nailed the sounds of the people they are copying, you'll find that you are going to have to alter the sound to fit with what the other members of your band are doing to make the bass sound right.

• Like 4

Always my fave video this, I wish i was into them at the time.

Mani always looks like he is only just holding it together, I never really thought about his sound - I used Elite grounds for some time and loved them but only finger style. I think the Valve amps and the pick and semi hollow body also play a large part.