Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Rayman

Another reason I like P basses... as said above, they are very simple but instantly give you 'that' sound in a mix. So you can forget all about the 'tonequest', forget about GAS and get on with the business of actually playing the bloody thing. :D

Which is why I don't much care for on-board preamps, active basses* and over-complicated amps - too much of a distraction.

*Spectors excepted, obvs. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've always loved the look and feel of a Precision, and I love my basses simple. I'm not into massive EQ options, or pedals or any of that shizzle. I like a bass into an amp via a lead, simple. So.... the simplicity of a P bass appeals to me, like my jazz, and Stingray. 

I've been playing a long time (you'd think I'd be better at it), so I know the score, but I've just always struggled with the Precision tone. Awesome with a pick.... but I play with my fingers mainly.

Why am I "forcing" myself to like them? I'm not really, it's just curious to me that I'm so attracted to them but just can't get "that" tone. Maybe I AM over thinking it.... I guess it's become a bit of a bloody challenge now.... 

Anyway.... I thought I'd post the thread and get some opinions. I haven't taken part in the forum for some years even though I've been here since day one, a few of the old guard might remember me, and I'd forgotten how much fun these discussions are.

Thanks for the input. It's a bloody beautiful bass... and I'm sticking at it. I might put the other basses into storage and just have the Precision here for a while to bond with it. Defo thinking flats is the way to go on this particular bass.

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

I've always loved the look and feel of a Precision, and I love my basses simple. I'm not into massive EQ options, or pedals or any of that shizzle. I like a bass into an amp via a lead, simple. So.... the simplicity of a P bass appeals to me, like my jazz, and Stingray. 

I've been playing a long time (you'd think I'd be better at it), so I know the score, but I've just always struggled with the Precision tone. Awesome with a pick.... but I play with my fingers mainly.

Why am I "forcing" myself to like them? I'm not really, it's just curious to me that I'm so attracted to them but just can't get "that" tone. Maybe I AM over thinking it.... I guess it's become a bit of a bloody challenge now.... 

Anyway.... I thought I'd post the thread and get some opinions. I haven't taken part in the forum for some years even though I've been here since day one, a few of the old guard might remember me, and I'd forgotten how much fun these discussions are.

Thanks for the input. It's a bloody beautiful bass... and I'm sticking at it. I might put the other basses into storage and just have the Precision here for a while to bond with it. Defo thinking flats is the way to go on this particular bass.

Its simplicity is a blessing and a curse....

I bought a used but mint wine coloured one back in 78. I was a rank beginner and in my useless hands it didn't seem to have any clarity or punch at all..just dull dull dull.  A year later I bought a Ray and I sounded ...well,  better or so I thought.

I had 25 yrs with that boat anchor Ray and was never really happy.  Its only recently that I've finally figured out how to play a P bass which for me personally is Chromes which oddly never seem to go dull, and a light but positive touch..to say I've found nirvana is pushing it a bit but I'm finding it very, very hard to put down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

I've just always struggled with the Precision tone... ...I'm so attracted to them but just can't get "that" tone. Maybe I AM over thinking it.... I guess it's become a bit of a bloody challenge now...

You may be there without knowing it. It's possible that what you're hearing when you play isn't the actual sound being produced. Just as people don't recognise their own voices when they hear a recording of themselves.

I'd say forget it, use a P, concentrate on your playing and it will all fall into place. The more you chase it the further away it will get. Ignore it and lo, there it is. Because it was there all along.

Look at it this way - how can you be the only person in the world who can make a P sound different? The tone is baked-in to the design, that's why it works. :)

2 hours ago, oldbass said:

Its simplicity is a blessing and a curse....

I bought a used but mint wine coloured one back in 78. I was a rank beginner and in my useless hands it didn't seem to have any clarity or punch at all..just dull dull dull.  A year later I bought a Ray and I sounded ...well,  better or so I thought.

I had 25 yrs with that boat anchor Ray and was never really happy.  Its only recently that I've finally figured out how to play a P bass which for me personally is Chromes which oddly never seem to go dull, and a light but positive touch..to say I've found nirvana is pushing it a bit but I'm finding it very, very hard to put down.

+1 for Chromes on a P for versatility. They do a bit of brightness if you need it. Re. the OP, why struggle? Stick with your Jazz. I keep coming back to mine. One day I'll learn my lesson and stop buying other instruments, realising they don't do it for me as well as the old beast and selling them on...