Why become a member? ×

Cab choice for Ampeg tone.

obbm

I'm very much liking the Ampeg tone that I'm getting from my recently acquired PF-500 (yes I know about the problems but this one seems fine).  Given the option of a pair of Ampeg SVT-210AV cabs or a single BF Two10 for approximately the same money, which would be the better choice?

The 210AV cabs sound great, Dave, but due to size they`re a bit limited on how much you can put into them, do sound great though, really Ampeggy, as you`d expect really. The BF Two10, however will pretty much take it all and do an Oliver Twist, and ask for more.

Hi Dave, I'd stick with the 2 Two10's. I used mine for the first time on a "quieter" gig last weekend and they came through with flying colours. I used my AG700 and they handled the 5 string with ease.

I also have a 4 ohm Two10 which I've used with a One10's and they sounded very good together. A Three10 for more volume and depth in the tone.

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Hi Dave, I'd stick with the 2 Two10's. I used mine for the first time on a "quieter" gig last weekend and they came through with flying colours. I used my AG700 and they handled the 5 string with ease.

I also have a 4 ohm Two10 which I've used with a One10's and they sounded very good together. A Three10 for more volume and depth in the tone.

Chris, the option is 1 x BF Two10 or 2 x SVT-210AV.  I currently have been using a pair of One10s and they sound pretty good however because they are so small I need to put the on a stand so I can hear.  As a result they lose floor coupling and a lot of welly, hence the thought of going for a 210 cab.  It crossed my mind that if I went for switchable Two 10 then I could run it at 4-ohms on its own or at 12-ohms with a One10, which give 4.8-ohms - totally acceptable to the amp.  I guess it depends on what the individual impedances of the Two10 drivers are to see how they might balance.

For what it's worth (I know you are asking about the 210), while I prefer my V4B, I also have a pf500, and they both sound awesome through my SVT-212AV.  Has plenty of tone and power for medium gigs and sounds great at low power too.  I have not had experience using this rig alone with large gigs, as I've had PA assistance.  For the Ampeg sound, these produce that sound in my head exactly!  If you have the opportunity to get the 212 at a good price, it's definately worth considering.  Just my .02

Cheers!

My cab collection consists of precisely those cabs, having bought the Barefaced to replace the Ampegs as a one-cab solution. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to compare both setups under the same conditions and now my band has decided to call it a day, I'm not sure when I'll be able to. Not terribly useful, I know!

Definitely more low end out of the Barefaced, but the stacked Ampegs end up with speakers right by your ears which is great for being able to hear yourself.

On 2/2/2018 at 06:28, dannybuoy said:

Definitely more low end out of the Barefaced, but the stacked Ampegs end up with speakers right by your ears which is great for being able to hear yourself.

. . . . and more mids. The extra definition and clarity from the BF's allows you to hear yourself clearly so you don't need cabs right behind your ear any more. The band hears you more clearly as well.

46 minutes ago, chris_b said:

. . . . and more mids. The extra definition and clarity from the BF's allows you to hear yourself clearly so you don't need cabs right behind your ear any more. The band hears you more clearly as well.

I've kind of made my mind up on the BF, just waiting for Alex to confirm that it will be OK to run a Two10 @12-ohms and a One10 @ 8-ohms.  Theoretically it's a goer but he has promised to check it out and let me know.