Why become a member? ×

Line 6 HX. New effects unit.

fretmeister

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@fretmeister

Any further news / update on the HX. 

You gave the Line 6 a big thumbs up as an octaver (down). Really interested to know what it's like at polyphonic octave up? If it knocks the socks off the EHX POG2 and comes close to emulating an 8 string bass, that would make it a very interesting proposition for me. 

Helix does not do polyphonic octaves. The octave effects don't come close to any of the POG varieties, be they 2, Micro or Nano. I have the Pitch Fork and Micro POG in a send/return which helps the Helix sound amazing.

• Thanks 1

The trad Octave down seems a lot more stable under update 2.5 (and I liked it before) but there's still no polyphonic.

Apparently that is planned for a future update but they don't say when.

The new synth and filter options are huge fun though! the legacy overdrves and distortions are also very good for bass. Lots of options.

1 minute ago, BassBus said:

Having polyphonic octaves would be great. 

+1 from me on that.

Picking up on comment earlier in this thread and elaborating a touch:

I think multifx (e.g. my Zoom B3n) is great for chorus, delay, tremolo and flange and of course being a tuner. I also find the B3n is really useful as a headphone amp with its aux in and headphone out. It's got these areas covered just fine. But it struggles to come close to the best analog pedals on some of the 'trickier stuff': a) synth / filter, b) octave tracking both mono octave down (low and without latency) c) polyphonic octave up, d) compression and e) dirt.

Let's put up as the competition (and I know there are a million alternatives here):
- Markbass Super Synth for synth / filter
- COG T16 for tracking down (has virtually zero latency)
- EHX POG2 for polyphonic tracking up
- Cali 76CB for compression
- Damnation Audio MBD1 for dirt

If it's delivering well in three or more of these areas, then the HX is clearly going to be a very significant step up from my B3n and I'd definitely be looking to get.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+1 from me on that.

Picking up on comment earlier in this thread and elaborating a touch:

I think multifx (e.g. my Zoom B3n) is great for chorus, delay, tremolo and flange and of course being a tuner. I also find the B3n is really useful as a headphone amp with its aux in and headphone out. It's got these areas covered just fine. But it struggles to come close to the best analog pedals on some of the 'trickier stuff': a) synth / filter, b) octave tracking both mono octave down (low and without latency) c) polyphonic octave up, d) compression and e) dirt.

Let's put up as the competition (and I know there are a million alternatives here):
- Markbass Super Synth for synth / filter
- COG T16 for tracking down (has virtually zero latency)
- EHX POG2 for polyphonic tracking up
- Cali 76CB for compression
- Damnation Audio MBD1 for dirt

If it's delivering well in three or more of these areas, then the HX is clearly going to be a very significant step up from my B3n and I'd definitely be looking to get.

If you have an audio interface you can try out the trial version of Helix Native. Same effects but running on your computer instead of a separate box. Even if you don't have an interface you can get creative with jack adapters into the mic in socket and use ASIO4ALL to get the latency down!

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...