Why become a member? ×

Rick 4003 String Sizes

Spikey

So time has come for my first string change on my new Rick 4003, so without thinking went and bought standard 50-70-85-105 set of rounds 

during changing I discovered the nit slots were too narrow on the A and D String - further research shows the standard shipped String gauge sizes are 45-55-75-105 - so this is why the slots are cut so narrow

so question to you good people - should I cut the nut to allow the heavier gauge to fit - or will this change the feel of the bass and should I go buy the ‘correct’ size strings

i liked the way the Rick played with the original set

views??

The last new Ricky I bought, a few years back, had the same problem. I'd actually bought a regular set of D'addario nickels (45-105), and it was my E string that was the issue! 

I filed the nut, and that solved the problem for me. 

Sold the bass soon after....I had a good run with Rickys (good few 4001/3/4) but sold my last early 2017.

Forgot to add, there was a strong rumour that the Rickenbacker branded strings are simply D'addario Nickels .....so maybe go for those? 

Edited by spongebob
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2018 at 16:02, Spikey said:

So time has come for my first string change on my new Rick 4003, so without thinking went and bought standard 50-70-85-105 set of rounds 

Just curious, but whose standard gauge sets are 50-105? I think all the different sets I've used in "standard" have been 45-105 (some variation on the A and D gauges), though I have wondered about experimenting with a heavier G on one or two of my basses.