Why become a member? ×

How do i power a Le Bass Two Notes with a Cioks DC5

dave_bass5

It’s funny but for the past 6 months ive been lusting after a DG B7K Ultra, based on the fact that i love the simulation in the Zoom B3n. The BDDI in to B7KU has been my main home rehearsal patch. This was one of the reasons i got a BDDI, as i had planned to get the B7KU as well. Not really sure why I didn’t just use the B3n lol. I then went off the idea of getting both those, due to the cost, but had convinced myself i needed the BDDI anyway. Never been a fan of the B3K sim, so i knew getting one of those wouldnt work.

I think in this case the two you mention have failed in getting me to spend money. It started off that i was going to get a LE Bass new, then was offered one at a fantastic price, but against my better judgment pushed the budget right up. 

In fact the only one pushing the DG stuff is you Al :-). 

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@dave_bass5 thank you for recognising I am not a gear pusher but a gear thinker and balancer.

If there are weak minded souls out there that can be fooled by a simple Jedi mind trick that is not our fault......

I took Al’s comments in jest, which i know they were meant to be taken. I am weak minded sometimes, but mainly when it comes to things i dont have experience with. 

Don't get me wrong, your Le bass praise definitely  helped me get to  the point where i knew i must have  it, but it was never just about the tone of the Le bass. In fact it was never about that, it was the ability to have two pedals in one and at a good price that was pushing me to this pedal. Due to the size i felt it would take too much effort getting it working for me, and that i was better off looking for something  smaller that would fit the board, at least for now. Coupled with the fat that you have to hit two switches at the same time i felt maybe its not quite the soloution i had hoped at the start of the thread.

You have convinced me to keep the Cali, so your efforts weren’t wasted oh Jedi master :-). Ive been on BC long enough to know that it will always cost me something when i ask a question. . 

• Like 1

Good man, excellent resolution all around, if you do get the chance to play a Two Notes and have a noodle, you should definitely do it.

Personally I had a happy accident in finding out how it stacked with a Hartke VXL that was pleasing to me and what I play, and have got various different tones at a kick in and off.

Hooe you find your combination of all or some of your pedals.

@Al Krow jest - never- he’s not that funny 😂 

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Good man, excellent resolution all around, if you do get the chance to play a Two Notes and have a noodle, you should definitely do it.

Personally I had a happy accident in finding out how it stacked with a Hartke VXL that was pleasing to me and what I play, and have got various different tones at a kick in and off.

Hooe you find your combination of all or some of your pedals.

@Al Krow jest - never- he’s not that funny 😂 

Thanks very much. I’m sure it’s obvious in my posts that i dont have a clue what I’m looking for, but will find it one day. In the meantime ill just keep spending money and trying out new things. This time next year i might even be playing so i dont want to spend too much now. I know if i buy good gear I’ll get a good return on it when i do sell it. 

I also have my Zoom 60D at the end of the chain and that has loads of options in it so i may actualy use that for OD, who knows.

Playing bass is a laugh, but GAS is a serious business. 

• Like 1

Ive spoken to Cuzzie already on TB but wanted to post back here as well. 

The Ultra arrived today and i felt no love for it in the context of what i was trying to achieve. It’s a nice box, and made some nice noises, but i cant see it replacing my BDDI. The clean tone of the BDDI just has soemthing i felt the Ultra couldn’t do. I tried all the knobs and switches, but it just lacked heft. The Ultra has a much better distortion, but thats not really what i was after. One box to do both. The BDDI can do both really well, but the lack of switching means its set and forget, so i rely on the VMT or OJ for the extra dirt. 

So, its going back tomorrow and I’m going to try the Omicron, as a replacmeant for the VMT. 

Thats the benefit if you can of buying new, try and then send back if you know it’s not right.

its one of the reasons I chose Demon Pedals and KMA Audio Machines. I bought direct from them with a 14 day full refund guarantee as well as their 5 year warranty.

Perfect.

Keep is up to date with the mini AO

47 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Thats the benefit if you can of buying new, try and then send back if you know it’s not right.

its one of the reasons I chose Demon Pedals and KMA Audio Machines. I bought direct from them with a 14 day full refund guarantee as well as their 5 year warranty.

Perfect.

Keep is up to date with the mini AO

Well my plan tomorrow is to go to PMT just up the road from work. If i get the Ao from a shop it will be harder to return it, and so ill have to make the effort to use it. 

• Like 1

I think ive done the same to be honest. Ive lived with it, and wanted to love it because many others do, but at the end of the day its never been quite what ive been looking for. 

Saying that, now ive changed my mind yet again and am now looking for a dirt pedal to supliment my BDDI the Ao looks like it can work. Not the cheapest option, but i like the concept of it so willing to give it a go. 

Right, my current plan is to get a Way Huge Pork Loin. Going up to PMT after work and if they have one ill get it, if not ill order one online. Having seen a few YT videos this appeals to me much more than a DG pedal, an din fact looks like exactly what i now need. In fact DG is off the cards now. ill keep the BDDI and use the PL for the extra stuff, or on all the time.

Going back to my original question, lets change this to how do i power the PL with the DC5. I know its 9v but ive read a lot about running it at 18v to get better head room. The DC5 only has one 18v output, and my Cli76 is using that. I know i can drop that to 9v and let the PL have the 18v, but what about 12v? Ive not read much about using 12v for pedals, most seem to talk about 9 or 18.

Very much looking forward to getting the PL. The other benefit is it does run off battery, which means i can use it in other places when i dont take my board.

22 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Right, my current plan is to get a Way Huge Pork Loin. Going up to PMT after work and if they have one ill get it, if not ill order one online. Having seen a few YT videos this appeals to me much more than a DG pedal, an din fact looks like exactly what i now need. In fact DG is off the cards now. ill keep the BDDI and use the PL for the extra stuff, or on all the time.

Going back to my original question, lets change this to how do i power the PL with the DC5. I know its 9v but ive read a lot about running it at 18v to get better head room. The DC5 only has one 18v output, and my Cli76 is using that. I know i can drop that to 9v and let the PL have the 18v, but what about 12v? Ive not read much about using 12v for pedals, most seem to talk about 9 or 18.

Very much looking forward to getting the PL. The other benefit is it does run off battery, which means i can use it in other places when i dont take my board.

I'm guessing you've seen this thread and decided on the PL anyway?

In terms of voltage, where pedals are designed to run off 18V but can cope with less, I'd suggest thinking about it as a range 9V to 18V and the closer you get to 18V the more headroom you'll have. So 12V - which is readily available on the Ciocks DC5 - will be better than 9V but not as good as 18V.

PS enjoy PMT (Shoreditch?) and do feed back if it's any good.

Edited by Al Krow

Use a splitter cable or 3-way daisy cable on the 18V output, 100mA should cover both pedals, I've powered the same comp plus a Pike Vulcan from the DC5 before. Hotrox stock the full range of Cioks accessory cables!

But either of those pedals would be perfectly happy at 12V also. If you hear clipping in the Cali or the clean channel of the PL when digging in hard, then you'll want 18V.

If testing out the PL in a shop, note that there are internal controls too, one of which affects the low end!

If you want dark bass-heavy soft-clipping OD, you might also like the SolidgoldFX Beta. That won a little shootout on my board when I was looking for a dirty boost to go in front of an Tech21 VT 500 or Darkglass M900 head (so similar ballpark to a BDDI). One of the few that really maintain your low end presence in the mix when you stomp on it at high volume!

Edited by dannybuoy

Cheers guys. I’m happy to run it off 12v to start with. From what ive read its not designed to be run at 18v, but many people do. I wont be feeding too much in to it, although it will probably after my BDDI so ill keep an ear out. I guess 12 is better than 9. 

Al, i had thought of the Pork n Pickle, but i dont want fuzz at all. Im keeping my BDDI for the clean tone, and will just use the PL for a slightly dirtier tone. The reviews i read seemed to say it was quite a transparent tone (within reason) so should work well with the BDDI tone shaping. I may even use the PL on its own at some point as it seems like it does a nice cleanish tone as well. I cant ever imagin neededing a squeaky clean tone, i liek a bit of dirt even when running clean, and the BDDI does the perfectly well, but there may be times that ill turn the BDDI off and just use the PL.  

It was PMT in Clerkenwell, and ive been there 3 time now and never brought anything. Their website said the PL was in stock, but they didn’t have a clue what i was after. Closest branch to have it in was Birmingham lol. Shame as i wanted it for Thursdays rehearsal but wanted to get used to it before. Ive ordered it from GAK and it will be hear on Thursday. Ill take it along and see how it goes. 

Danny. Yeah, im I’m intrigued with the internal  trim pots. Ill use it as factory default on Thursday and then mess about with the internal stuff after that. Ive gone right off the DG tone now, its a tone ive lived with as its done the job, but going through the OD patches in my Zoom boxes has shown i can do so much better, for less money. Even the Joyo OJ seems to get closer to what ive been hearing in my head compared to the VMT. 

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

but going through the OD patches in my Zoom boxes has shown i can do so much better, for less money...

If you're setting up any drive patches on your MS-60B with the new 2.0 firmware then it would definitely be useful to compare notes in terms of what you're going for - I've decided to see if I can get something "80%" of the way there with my MS-60B (for when I'm using my Markbass combo) which band mates and audiences will hopefully be fine with, in the mix, whilst I'm still on my own journey for that ideal drive pedal! 

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you're setting up any drive patches on your MS-60B with the new 2.0 firmware then it would definitely be useful to compare notes in terms of what you're going for - I've decided to see if I can get something "80%" of the way there with my MS-60B (for when I'm using my Markbass combo) which band mates and audiences will hopefully be fine with, in the mix, whilst I'm still on my own journey for that ideal drive pedal! 

I’m not going to use the 60B other than as a chorus and tuner, although possibly with a filter patch if needed. No other comps or sims, just th done effect. I had a Corona mini at the end, but remembered the 60B also has a Corona patch, so I added that to get a tuner as well. 

All my plying at home is with headphones, so its hard to set these things up without using the actual rig it will be eventually played through. In fact all my home playing is through my B3n, which sounds fantastic through headphones. The pacth i use the most is db comp, BDDI, B7K. no amp sims in this patch. Using the pedals board with the Cali76 and BDDI sounds pretty close. I have the blend right up on the BDDi at home, but back it off quite a bit when playing with a rig. I find if I use the B3n live I’m forever tweaking it. This is why I switched to using a pedalboard as all the knobs are accessible without any menus and stuff like that. 

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

What amp do you have?

At the moment I’m using a Markbass F1 in to a Vanderkey 1x15, but i also use a GK MB800 when the mood takes me. Each amp has a different character, with the F1 the most neutral and thats the one I’m currently using. The MB800 is just a back up, although it will be interesting to hear how it all sounds through that at some point. 

For headphones practice you could go straight out the GK or take a DI out of the Markbass into a mixer like a xenys 502 and pop headphones into that.

That would bring you out the zoom and give you an idea of how it stacks with the amp.

you don’t need to be connected to a speaker with them both being class D

The cab and room acoustics have a big impact on how the rig will sound. You will never feel the low end using headphones. Using the Zoom gets me closer to what a rig sounds like rather than using headphones out off the preamp stages of my heads. Ive tried it with the GK and it was horrible compared to the Zoom.

I tend to run my heads flat and EQ the bass from the pedals anyway, but at home i just go for a good sound in the headphones. 

Just wanted to say I’m very, very happy with the PL. I’m so glad I found that before getting any of the much more costly boxes. It worked so well with the BDDI that I had it on almost all night. I’m fact I turned the BDDI off a few times, which I have never done before. 

Rehearsal was the first time I plugged it in, so I’ve not really messed with it much.  I will do the mod at some point but over the weekend I’ll be able to have a proper play and mess with the trim pots inside.

i should also mention that I was using my Vanderklay cab and Sire V7 tonight for the first time in months, and the bass really made a difference as well.

Going to bed happy knowing that my quest is over......for now.

I am thinking of getting a smaller cab for rehearsals though, maybe a BF 1x10. Our new studio is on the first floor.

• Like 1