Why become a member? ×

Squier Mike Dirnt Precision - my chameleon

mcnach

I bought this bass a few years ago for not much. It wasn't bad sounding at all, it was VERY light, the neck was comfy, it was cheap... it was the ideal bass to take busking where it's more likely to get the odd knock. 

I have ended up replacing the pickup (first an Entwistle neodymium PBXN, and yesterday a Fender Original) and the neck (I'm a sucker for maple, and the right neck came up with glossy lacquer... similar profile...)... so how much this reflects the original bass is debatable :D but I love this thing. I've used it as my bass to try strings on, and finally I strung it with my usual DR Fat Beams (same as in my Classic 50s Precision)... I can't wait until the initial zing dies off (I hate new strings).

Anyway... I thought I'd use a slow Sunday to post a few pictures of this beast... just because. The alternative is reading a paper I need for work tomorrow and, I really don't feel like doing that :P

squier-mike-dirnt-precision-bass-2013-16

I can't find pictures of the bass how it was when I bought it... so that's a picture of an identical one I found online.

Then I replaced the pickup. That's an Entwistle PBXN, with replacement white covers... and I put a white pickguard on it:

IMAG4156.jpg?dl=1

And I found a maple neck for it... and a mint green pickguard too:

SqMD_RWneck_07.jpg?dl=1

A sticker with my main band's logo now covers the black star, and changed the knobs, because if I don't change things in this bass from time to time it feels wrong :D

20180106_153201.jpg?dl=1

Yesterday I changed the strings and installed the Fender pickup... I like the routing on these basses. If you can ignore the pickguard screw holes, it looks pretty cool:

20180106_194453.jpg?dl=1

And this is what it looks like now... the original pickguard returns, and changed the knobs once more...

20180106_200322.jpg?dl=1

I adjusted the action and this thing plays so smoothly now... I just now have to use it regularly to kill the 'new string zing' I dislike, and see how it compares to my Classic 50s... I was toying with the idea of selling the Mike Dirnt (downsizing!) as it's redundant, but I'd get so little for it that I might just keep it. Hmmm, Labella white nylon tapewound strings could make this bass glorious! :)

• Like 1

The Squier I had first and the neck and weight is just perfect for me, I did Mod the Bridge,Tuners and PU to better stuff too. 

I thought I'll buy the Road worn seeing I liked the cheaper one so much, but found the neck was a totally different shape and the weight was a lot more than the Squier.

I would not have bought the Roadworn if I had tried it in a shop, One of the perils of buying blind.

Horses for courses and all that I suppose.

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I like the chrome top knobs with black plastic round the sides. Reminds me of the hifi we had when I was a kid. 

Those knobs were for an amp, in fact... but they never got used. I saw them in my box of bits and thought "why not?" :)