Why become a member? ×

What's happening at Gibson USA ?

JohnDaBass

55 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

With respect to the quality, I think you’re wrong. My recent EB5 purchase is a cracker, I can find nothing to fault it on in terms of quality and all recent reviews of the2013 & 2017 EBs  are of the same opinion. The body designs may not be to everyone’s taste, that is after all entirely subjective but when it comes to finish and fittings they are very good.  However their lack of consistency in producing a line is questionable. It must cost a fair bit to set up production of a guitar and then only to give it a 2 year run doesn’t make economic sense. The recent introduction of multitudinous colours of SGs also seems a bit pointless. If you buy an SG you probably want a cherry one or a walnut one.

The root of the problem seems to be their bonkers  acquisition strategies. They buy up a brand and fail to keep producing that which the brand is good at i.e.Tobias, they let Michael go and the brand all but disappears. I believe they did the same with Trace Elliot & Cakewalk to name a couple more.

Add to this the unnecessary additives such as auto tuners which have to be a complete waste of time, who wants them, guitarists can usually tune a guitar, it’s fundamental!

A change of ownership may be the making of them, if this can be achieved by the present company going under.! Hopefully a guitarist/ luthier could run the company and concentrate on what they are good at.

I've seen some right recent stinkers, my mate had an SG a couple of years ago brand new, I presumed although it had Gibson on the headstock that it was a new budget range made in the far east, in fact that would be doing the far east an injustice! 

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

The root of the problem seems to be their bonkers  acquisition strategies. They buy up a brand and fail to keep producing that which the brand is good at i.e.Tobias, they let Michael go and the brand all but disappears. I believe they did the same with Trace Elliot & Cakewalk to name a couple more.

It's a business strategy. Buy the competition,use whatever processes or ideas you need then shut them down. Helps retain your position as a key player when you've emptied the field. FMIC play the same game but they're only $100 million in the red.

When I was working in a studio in Dublin in the mid-2000’s, I was recording a band whose guitarist had just bought a brand new Les Paul Standard that very day. I had him play while we mic’d up his amp and, every now and then, a chord would sound badly out of tune. He retuned and played and the same thing, every now and then out of tune. After going through the song chords, whenever he played G, it sounded horrible. We checked tuning again, then went through the E string fret by fret.

E - in tune

F - in tune

F# - in tune

G - badly sharp

G# - in tune

A - in tune

I felt sick for the guy, he had spent IR£2,500 at the time on his dream guitar and it was junk. I believe the shop exchanged it for him.

I have a Tokai 335, an ES130, and have yet to encounter a “real” 335 which comes close. Gibson, to me, are the epitome of a brand trading on former glories and great designs made by great people several generations ago and the current company are just the owners of some copyrights with nothing in common with the spirit of innovation or quality which made the brand name what it is. Just like the big F, the designs they own are incredible, but there are other companies doing much better jobs of manufacturing them.