Why become a member? ×

Road Worn 50s and 50s Classic Precision

Hutton

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

A bargain compared with a pre-CBS bass. And if you can find a Road Worn second-hand, it would be rude not to buy it. :)

Bass Direct has a 3TS RW in over Christmas at £850 - I was sorely tempted but can't justify a fourth P (especially in January!). I've briefly owned a 50s which was great fun to play, and looked brilliant, but make sure you get on with the wide/shallow neck.

Well, I took delivery of a brand new in the box Road Word 50s Classic within the last hour. I quickly replaced the round wound strings with a set of used Chromes, and it certainly does play well (only other one of these I have played had the original strings on, which really don't suit it IMO). Sound (though a small home practice amp) is close to impossible to tell apart from the un worn Classic 50s. In terms of feel, the RW neck is better, though the frets feel a little rough.I'll have that sorted when I get the bass properly set up. Out of the box, it's pretty good, apart from the strings. By a quirk of luck, good timing, and an alcohol-induced lack of sense, I paid less for my road worn than I paid for my Classic 50s a few months ago. I'll add a picture of the two of them side by side for comparison. Of course, now it's here and I like it, I'll need to sell something to pay for it and make room in the house. I'm pretty sure that whatever I sell, it won't be a Fender though!

IMG_1148.thumb.jpg.d6643477d82b6f986f748006f7b072a0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear FinnDave....
What on earth is "alcohol induced lack of sense"? ;)
Great that you got it for less than a classic 50's though... nice!

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on both, once you've had chance to compare them, played through a decent amp...
I'm surprised that the frets are a bit rough. I must say, the rolled edges on my RWP and RWJ felt lovely, with nice finishing on the frets
Is there a noticeable difference in the weight between the two, or are they similar?

I've got a Limelight incoming next week.... and I have to sell something too
Also hate selling anything Fender :(

The weight is about the same, just by holding one in each hand. The neck and rolled edges felt very good, frets just need a clean or at worst a quick polish. That might just be me, as all my other Precisions have been set up by a pro, and he does clean the frets very well.

Hopefully I can compare the two at a rehearsal this week.

I think I'll have to sell my last alcohol related purchase, a rather nice Gibson, which sounds, looks, and feels great, but I simply don't use it, as everything I play is best suited to a Precision!

17 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Didn't the Classic 50s with the poly finish get replaced by the Classic 50s Lacquer with a nitro finish a few years ago? That would make the only difference between them being the relic job.

The RW gets raved about, but I had a RW and Classic 50s in the house at the same time and the 50s walked all over it when it came to resonance and tone. Of course basses vary individually so it could just as equally have swayed the other way! That 50s was the best sounding P I'd ever tried except I did not get on with the combination of wide neck, curvy radius, and sharp fingerboard edges.

Yes I have both and find little difference. Perhaps the RWs tend to be lighter. Depends if you are a relic fan