Why become a member? ×

NBD

Jimryan

Afternoon all!

Following on from my "which Dingwall" post, this morning I took delivery of my new (to me) Afterburner from Bass Direct.  For a while now I've been eyeing one up and a couple of weeks back put a deposit down.  It arrived this morning but not had much of a chance yet to thoroughly try it out, but my first impressions are that this is one hell of an instrument.  Going solely off of trying three dingwall basses over the past few years for collectively for no longer than 10 minutes, it was essentially a blind purchase but I knew I wanted a Dingwall.  

Ok, out of the box and first thing is the gig bag.  Never thought I'd be impressed with a gig bag, but it's a really nice case.  Anyway, moving on.  The bass itself is something else.  The finish can look anything from black, brown or purple all the way through to a candy apple red in the right lighting.  Perfectly balanced and very comfy at 4.5kg/9lb 14 oz.  Before plugging it in, there was a concern about the learning curve of getting used to the fanned frets, but I sat down plugged in, tuned up and there was absolutely no need to worry.  Straight away your hand just gets it.  The neck is amazing and an absolute delight to play.  The whole instrument is something else altogether.  Harmonics sing from it, the mids cut through beautifully and the bass is tight and pronounced. 

All in all, very pleased with it.  Only thing I'm going to change is the straplocks.  It comes fitted with Dunlop buttons but my other basses (not they'll get much use now) and strap all have Schaller buttons on them.  Only downside is that I've a gig tonight but can't use it as it's an upright gig.

The full spec is as follows:

AB1 5/3

33.25"-37" scale compound radius fretboard

maple fretboard

banjo frets

hipshot ultralite tuners

dual density swamp ash body

Candy cola finish

3 FD3 pickup option

Glockenklang preamp

Edited by Jimryan
  • Like 1

Sent the serial number off to Dingwall and they've replied confirming the spec but with a few more details.  For one, I've now learnt that the finish isn't candy cola, but is actually "black cherry" which is definitely more apt.  As for the dual density body, the top half is northern ash and the bottom half is swamp ash.  I've also found out it's birthday is only a few  days before mine and made in 2014.

• Like 1