Why become a member? ×

String Identification, Please?

discreet

I've got some flats as part of a deal which I really like, but don't know what they are. They have bronze-coloured ball ends with about an inch of red silk and red silk at the tuner end. They're very smooth and thumpy and judging by the silks are quite well played-in. Anyone know what brand they are? Thanks! :)

23 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

I was also thinking TI's - any chance of measuring the gauges?

As far as I can tell with my cheap Chinese caliper, they seem to be 100-80-60-40. And a quick search of those gauges, along with the red silk clue, would point to Rotosound SM77 Monel Hybrid Flats, which are exactly those gauges. I think they must be fairly old as they don't have the current red, white and blue coloured ball-ends, just bronze-coloured. I didn't think of measuring the gauges though - thanks John. :)

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

As far as I can tell with my cheap Chinese caliper, they seem to be 100-80-60-40. And a quick search of those gauges, along with the red silk clue, would point to Rotosound SM77 Monel Hybrid Flats, which are exactly those gauges. I think they must be fairly old as they don't have the current red, white and blue coloured ball-ends, just bronze-coloured. I didn't think of measuring the gauges though - thanks John. :)

ah i'm late as ever ... the last time i had roto flats they still had brass ball ends !

5 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

ah i'm late as ever ... the last time i had roto flats they still had brass ball ends !

So do these, which leads me to think they're getting on a bit. Still sound great, though. New, they're quite a bit cheaper than my usual favourite, La Bella 760FS, so come next 'flats purchase', I'll give 'em a go. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1