Why become a member? ×

6 Strings...

Jarhead

Hey guys,
Recently, I have been thinking about purchasing a 6 string bass, after having played one at Music Live. Originally I wanted a Schecter Custom Stiletto 6 string, the one with the natural finish and flame maple top, but they seem practically impossible to find in the UK, online and in shops. So, I decided to think about other options, like [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/espltd_b206.htm"]this[/url] or [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_d6_ns.htm"]this[/url]. Has anybody played either of them? Or do you know where i could find the Schecter, because that would be the ideal one, depending on the price.
Zach

Well worth trying as 6 string neck widths can vary.

I had a fretless TRB6 II but the neck feld like an ironing board. The other end of the spectrum was an Ibanez SR1006. One of the older bolt on ones from Japan. Slimmest neck I have ever played on. Wish I still had it, I've never seen another one like it.

My first 6 string was a Washburn cheapey that i got on Dolphin for £125. What a deal. Really nice as well but the Ibanez was such a good bass though.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='328119' date='Nov 13 2008, 08:47 AM']I had a fretless TRB6 II but the neck feld like an ironing board. The other end of the spectrum was an Ibanez SR1006. One of the older bolt on ones from Japan. Slimmest neck I have ever played on. Wish I still had it, I've never seen another one like it.

[/quote]

That Ibanez looks mightly familiar! I'm pretty sure it now belongs to me. Did you sell it on Ebay, by any chance?

Having done some research, I'm pretty sure it's actually an SR1016 - these are indeed very rare and I've not even seen another one on Talkbass. Maybe it had a very limited distribution outside of Japan?

It does indeed have an absurdly slim neck profile, which makes it far easier to play than the Yamaha TRBs, for people with smaller hands.

Edited by geilerbass

do you have any problems with neck whip on the Ibby? It was an issue with the earliest 4 strings in the late 80's. I usually rate the Tobias Pro 6 if you replace the electronics and pickups which are a bit gutless. I really liked how it felt - nice slim neck and the wenge laminates sweeten the treble nicely.

I don't know which schecter I have, it seems different to the one you mentioned. Mine has 3 band EQ and is neck through etc. Anyway, if mine is the one you want you're welcome to try it out sometime. Stoke's not so far.

EDIT: It looks like mine is the "studio 6" which is the next one up I think so maybe no much use in trying it out.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='328269' date='Nov 13 2008, 11:57 AM']do you have any problems with neck whip on the Ibby? It was an issue with the earliest 4 strings in the late 80's. I usually rate the Tobias Pro 6 if you replace the electronics and pickups which are a bit gutless. I really liked how it felt - nice slim neck and the wenge laminates sweeten the treble nicely.[/quote]

What's 'neck whip'?

[quote name='geilerbass' post='328364' date='Nov 13 2008, 02:03 PM']What's 'neck whip'?[/quote]
You can test it by putting the bass on, and turning 90 degrees in either direction without holding the bass. The necks in the early 4 string models were apparently quite easy to fret out with any sudden movements.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='328393' date='Nov 13 2008, 02:42 PM']You can test it by putting the bass on, and turning 90 degrees in either direction without holding the bass. The necks in the early 4 string models were apparently quite easy to fret out with any sudden movements.[/quote]

'fret out'? I'm feeling pretty dim now...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='328259' date='Nov 13 2008, 11:29 AM']That Ibanez looks mightly familiar! I'm pretty sure it now belongs to me. Did you sell it on Ebay, by any chance?[/quote]

Just checked the Ebay details from the purchase - it's definitely the same bass. Small (bass)world, eh?

Here's the proof....

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, its really been helpful. I think I probably will buy the ESP, because I can adjust to just about anything, even 5 string Warwicks with the big neck profiles. If I see anything on here for a similar price thats a 6er then I probably will buy it. Thanks for all your advice guys, been a great help.
Zach

[quote name='geilerbass' post='328668' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:08 PM']Just checked the Ebay details from the purchase - it's definitely the same bass. Small (bass)world, eh?

Here's the proof....

[/quote]

If you're ever looking to sell it in the future then keep me in mind as I get the 6 string bug from time to time

[quote name='5_string_death' post='328686' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:48 PM']Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, its really been helpful. I think I probably will buy the ESP, because I can adjust to just about anything, even 5 string Warwicks with the big neck profiles. If I see anything on here for a similar price thats a 6er then I probably will buy it. Thanks for all your advice guys, been a great help.
Zach[/quote]
Just warm up before playing,the W I D E - O neck can feel weird at first.